▸ PROPOSALS

PROPOSALS

PROPOSALS

22nd of September

Noah doesn't look or talk to me, so I move to the next phase of the project which is sanding the wood so it can be polished and assembled. Percy mutters about the Homecoming game even though he wants to ask about our almost kiss, which I'm avoiding at all costs.

I don't know how much more avoiding I can do because we need to decorate the hallway after school for next week. I try to listen, but I keep going back to Noah and all the things I want to say.

"Charlie, are you okay?"

"Just tired."

"I have an appointment, but I'll see you after school."

"Okay, see you later."

I'm thankful he leaves because I can finally take a deep breath.

Noah comes to the table and for the longest time, we stare at each other.

"Can we speak after class?"

"Yes." I nod.

We fall into silence, then Noah grabs the wood from the bench and inspects it.

"You're sanding it the wrong way. You need to go with the grain, not across."

"Ah -" I hold back the next word. "Can it be saved?"

"Yes, and you do know it'll be quicker if you used the machine?"

"That machine scares me."

Noah grabs the wood and walks over. When I don't follow, he looks over his shoulder and summons me.

I reluctantly walk over and he goes through how to use it, even offering me a scrap piece of wood to use. My hands shake and I step away from it.

"I can't do this."

Noah grabs my hands and gently squeezes them.

"You can do this, just try."

"If I lose a finger, you have to take care of me."

He turns the machine on and I press the wood against the sanding belt. Noah stands behind me with one hand on my waist. I turn the machine on and it buzzes to life. Dust flies into the air and Noah hits the red button and the machine stops.

"It should be perfect now."

I run my fingers over it, and true to his words, it's perfect.

"Thank you for the help."

"Now you can do the rest."

"Hmm, sounds delightful." I roll my eyes.

Noah stays with me and thankfully, I don't sand any important limbs or skin off.