▸DISCOVERIES

DISCOVERIES

DISCOVERIES

Saturday, the 6th of May

Annika dances to the music as we apply our makeup in my bathroom. She rummages through my makeup bag and finds a bright red lipstick I've never worn.

"Can I use this?"

"You're welcome to have it."

"What's wrong with it?" She laughs.

"I've never worn it, probably won't."

"Keep it because this shade would look beautiful on you."

Annika applies the lipstick and tosses it back into my bag. She blows me a kiss and smiles.

"How does it look?"

"Looks great." I nod.

I apply some mascara while Annika chugs down another drink. Her phone buzzes and she frowns at the screen.

"Is everything okay?"

"Just my parents telling me to behave." She rolls her eyes.

"Fair enough."

"Sometimes they worry too much." Annika shakes her head. "Speaking of worry, have you thought about speaking to Samantha and maybe forgiving her?"

"I haven't thought about it."

"Could you forgive her for what she's done?"

"She lied to me."

"And she's very sorry about that."

"I'll talk to her but I make no promises for what might happen."

Perhaps I should forgive her now. This won't matter when I'm in college far away from them.

"Are you ready? People should be arriving soon."

"Just about." I apply some highlighter to my cheekbones and the end of my nose. I pack everything away and wander downstairs. The doorbell rings and I smile at Annika.

"Tonight is going to be amazing!"

I open the door and frown when I see Samantha.

"Hi?"

"I'm sorry for just showing up like this, but please forgive me. I hate fighting with you."

"Please don't do it again, okay?"

"I promise."

Samantha leaps into my arms and just about crushes me to death with her hug.

"Put your things in my room and meet me outside."