▸ VARSITY JACKETS

VARSITY JACKETS

VARSITY JACKETS

Tuesday the 5th of September

For the fourth time today, I'm forced to stand in front of the class with a seemingly bright smile. I can't believe they still make people do this. I take a deep breath before introducing myself to faces I'm beginning to recognise.

"Hi there." I wave. "I'm Charlie Landon. I recently moved from the Gold Coast. I love surfing, reading, and cooking."

I glance at the teacher and she smiles, so I hurry to my desk and sink in the chair. The teacher takes my place with a warm and eager grin.

It's the first genuine smile I've seen all day. The administration lady was grumpy, most likely stressed from the first day of school, and then our math teacher seemed to hate life, even more, when I told him how beautiful the beaches are.

I can relate to that feeling, as it was only last week that I stood on the beach covered in sand and sea salt. Now I'm in a classroom halfway across the world filled with weird customs I think I'll never understand.

"We'll be learning the basics of photography so that we can cover school events."

The woman holds a camera and explains how it works. My mind wanders to the beach. I miss sand under my toes, the smell of salt water and the sun on my cheeks.

I'd do anything to catch a wave or two.

When Dad mentioned moving to America, I begged for somewhere on the coast, but no, he wanted to return to his hometown in the middle of freaking nowhere.

When the school bell rings, I realise I've spent the whole lesson daydreaming.

I collect my things and wander to the cafeteria, which is different. I'm not hungry, so I bypass the line and head outside where it's quiet.

I take a seat at the empty picnic table and laugh at the students scrambling to find seats inside. The sun heats me cheeks, and if I close my eyes, I could pretend I'm standing on the beach.

That illusion is shattered by someone yelling.

"Hey you, yes you," a boy calls as he races over. "This table is reserved for the football team!"

"Oh, I'm so sorry." I scramble to my feet. "I'm new here."

As I grab my bag, another student shoves the first boy out of the way. He topples to the ground and shoots them a glare.

"Don't listen to that idiot." He sighs. "You're the new chick, the one from Australia?"

"Uh." I look at the guy on the floor, then back at him. "Yes, that's me, I'm Charlie."

"Is Charlie a nickname for Charlotte?"

"No, just Charlie."

"Oh, hm!" He sighs. "I'm Percy and that's George, he's a little entitled."