▸MRS. EAST

MRS

 MRS. EAST

April 2020

Percy grumbles as he paces the length of our small lounge room. I glance between the stairs and the small outline he's creating in the furry brown rug. The floorboards upstairs creek, which means we're not any close to leaving the house.

"Noah should be ready soon. He said he'd be down in a minute."

"He said that ten minutes ago." Percy rolls his eyes. "We should have left fifteen minutes ago. I don't want Brooklyn waiting alone at the restaurant, I really don't want to screw things up."

"Stop pacing and take a deep breath. I'll hurry Noah along."

Percy sucks in a breath but continues to pace the lounge room. I hurry up the stairs and lean against the door frame. I cross my arms as Noah turns around, a sheepish smile forming on his lips.

"Your poor nephew is downstairs about to carve a hole in our floor from all the nervous pacing. What's taking you so long?"

"Our nephew." He chuckles. "I'm missing my shoe."

"Can you borrow one from Percy?"

"I have bigger feet."

"Oh." I frown.

"How about I meet you at the restaurant?" He strides across the room and kisses my forehead. I grab his tie and pull him back so I can properly kiss his lips.

"Don't be too long. I don't want to be a third wheel to our nephew's date."

"I promise to be quick."

"If you're desperate, you can always borrow a pair of open-toed heels." I wink.

"I'd rather wear flip-flops."

"Have you checked in the laundry or under the bed? I'm not sure where else your shoes would be." I frown.

"Thank you for the suggestion, I'll have another look there."

"Okay, see you later."

I return to Percy, who's frown deepens.

"Noah will meet us at the restaurant."

"Thank goodness." He sighs.

I collect the car keys from the side table and we hop into my car. Percy glances out the car window while I bop to the music.

"How can I ease your mind?"

"It's nice to be the one driven around for once." He chuckles.

"I'm happy I can repay you for all the lifts."

"You're letting me live in your house, I think I owe you now."

"Considering everything we've been through, I consider you family regardless of my marriage to your uncle. So you're always welcome in my house, even if it's just on the couch."