▸BLURRED NIGHTS

BLURRED NIGHTS

BLURRED NIGHTS

Saturday, the 13th of January

Percy runs his fingers through his gelled hair while I apply my foundation. I toss the brush into the makeup bag and take out the eyeshadow palette.

"There's more to it?"

"I've only just started." I chuckle.

He peers into the makeup bag and wrinkles his nose.

"You don't need this stuff on your face. Noah loves you without it."

"I know but I enjoy wearing it." I smile.

"How long will this take?"

"It takes however long it takes."

Percy lunges and scoops me into the air. I whack his shoulder but I'm tossed over his shoulder and whisked out of the bathroom.

"Take me back to the bathroom. I look ridiculous with just foundation on."

"You're beautiful, Charlie. Plus you'll be thanking me tonight when you don't have to scrub this gunk off your skin."

He ignores me and races down stairs.

"Percy, what are you doing?" Noah laughs.

"Can you tell him to put me down?"

"You should listen to Charlie."

"I'll put her down . . . outside."

"Percy!"

The pair just laugh as Percy escapes outside. He carries me downstairs and to the indoor area which already has a couple of people sitting around. We earn some odd looks which he ignores.

"Would you like a drink?"

"Um, sure." I nod.

"Don't think about leaving."

Once Percy is busy, I make a run for the house. Footsteps thud behind me, so I push myself faster. I take the stairs by two and burst into the kitchen. I hurry around the bench and hide behind Noah's tall form.

"What are you doing?"

Percy enters the house and stares me down.

"Once I'm finished with my makeup, I'll be downstairs."

"You have ten minutes and then I'm coming to find you."

"I'm locking the bathroom door, so don't bother."