▸DANCE PERFORMANCE

DANCE PERFORMANCE

DANCE PERFORMANCE

Percy's grip tightens around my waist as he lifts me up. I extend my arms in the air and point my toes. He puts me down and I step forward and twirl around. Percy captures my hand and I fall into his arms. His warm breath fans across my face, sending a shiver down my spine. He pulls me back and lowers me to the floor.

He pauses above me and we wait for the music and lights to fade. Once we're surrounded by darkness, the crowd cheers and Percy offers his hand. He pulls me up and I inhale a deep breath to catch my breath.

We hurry backstage with the other dancers who are chattering with excitement. Samantha is the center of attention with her purple skirt.

"I can't believe the Ms. Miller allowed her to change costumes." Percy shakes his head.

"How are you surprised? Samantha typically gets everything she wants."

"Can I be there when you tell her about your relationship?" Percy grins.

"I don't even want to be there when she finds out." I frown.

"Her obsession with Noah is weird. Do you think she'll make her moves on graduation?"

"I would love to escape to wherever I'm going without ever having to tell Samantha about our relationship. In fact, I hope she never finds out or that I'm at least in another state or country."

"She'll find out soon enough."

"Can you protect me when that happens? I've never seen Samantha fight someone but I'm scared of her."

"Of course." Percy nods.

"We should find some seats so we can watch the last performance."

Percy nods and we wander through the hall that leads to the seated area. We nab some seats near the front of the stage which is the perfect view for this last performance. It wouldn't surprise me if Samantha's dancing in this surprise performance.

Yellow light warms the stage and two people wander into the center. Percy stares at me as I bounce with excitement. How'd he manage to keep that a secret?

I nibble on my lower lip to stop the large smile trying to spread across my lips. Noah's dressed in thigh black clothing while Ms. Miller is dressed in a beautiful white leotard with a white skirt which looks like it's been dipped into an orange sunset.

A slow song with a sharp drum beat plays and the pair begin their routine. It's a beautiful fluent sequence of Ms. Miller spinning and leaping with Noah occasionally lifting her. There's passion and emotion in their movements which takes my breath away.

Percy rests his arm on the back of my chair and whispers, "Are you okay with this?"

"It's just a dance, a very beautiful dance. I'm jealous I can't dance like that with him."