▸BOXES

BOXES

BOXES

I empty another cardboard box onto the bed and fold Noah's pants. As I get through the last bit of clothing, the stupid velvet box appears. It's half hidden by an orange t-shirt I've never seen.

I hoped that Noah had taken the box and hidden it when I first discovered it. I love that he trusts me and I hate how tempting it is. He wouldn't know if I took one, tiny, little peak.

Obviously, I can't do that. He would know because I'm crap at lying and I'd be too calm about the whole situation. I bet he wants me to be on edge, beginning him to finally pop the question so that we can continue to the next level.

Spinning around, I stare at the wall and take a deep breath. My hands shake and the box beckons me to take a peek. It's just a stupid velvet box and it's all in my head.

I turn around and grab the box. It's soft yet solid in my hand.

"Ugh, you are evil!" I glare.

I throw the box onto the bed and race into the main area. Thoughts swirls through my head as I pace along the length of the room.

The door opens and Noah frowns.

"Charlie, are you okay?"

"No, I'm not," I shout. "I'm furious!"

I stop pacing just enough to tangle my fingers through my hair and inhale a deep breath. Nothing helps, though. My heart races and I feel nauseous. I wish I never found that stupid box.

"Baby, what's wrong? You look like a nut job and I'm worried about you."

"Oi, I'm not a nut job." I glare.

Noah puts his bag on the counter, then wraps his arms around me. I rest against his warm chest and he kisses my head.

"Tell me what's wrong so I can make everything better."

"I found that stupid ring box and it's teasing me!"

Noah's hard chest rumbles against my body as he explodes with laughter. I shove him away and glare. Maybe I should have opened the box, that'll teach him to laugh at me.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have laughed."

"Mm," I grunt. "You certainly don't sound sorry."

"Where's everyone? I thought you'd be hanging out with Maddison."

"We were hanging out but I decided to finish off some more boxes," I say. "Dad is buying brackets, Percy and Maddison have gone to suss out somewhere to eat dinner. We thought actually going out to eat somewhere would be nice since it's Dad's last night."

"Ah, sounds good." He nods.

"Dad also said he'd buy dinner, so I figured we'd be crazy to refuse a good, free meal."

"You're very right there!"

"How'd your meetings go?"

"Really good, actually! I think people like me."

"Now don't fall in love with any students," I tease.

He half laughs. "I will only love you for the rest of my life, I promise."

"You better because I know I'll love you until my last breath."

Noah sheepishly smiles as his hands slip around my waist. I wrap my arms around his neck, then tugs his lips to mine. He lifts me into the air and hurries to the bedroom. He kicks the door closed with his foot, then tosses me onto the bed.

The stacks of clothes topple over and I sigh. I shuffle onto my elbows and cry out when I knock my elbow into something. I fish out the velvet box and glare at it.

I pass it to Noah and shake my head.

"See, evil!"

He inspects the box, his green eyes dancing with amusement. My heart accelerates with anticipation as a smile spreads across his lips. Noah lays on his side and his eyes connect with mine.

"I'm sorry for leaving this out."

"You're enjoying this, aren't you?" I groan.

"Just a little." He winks.

Noah rolls off the bed and wanders around to his drawer. He tosses the box into the first drawer, then looks at me. I tug on a smile as disappointment settles into the pit of my churning stomach.

I asked for Noah to hold off on the engagement but now I'm upset because he put the box in a drawer. It's no wonder why men find women so confusing, I don't even understand myself.

"If I'm being honest, it's taking everything in me not to ask you. I want you to wear this ring as a symbol of my love for you, as a gesture of where our future is going, but you deserve more than a half-assed proposal."

I inhale a deep breath to stop myself from drowning in a puddle of emotions.

"You're right." I nod. "We owe it to ourselves to make it special."

Given all the amazing things Noah has done for me, I'm a tiny bit excited to see where he takes this. Although, the suspense might kill me and I might never see that moment.

"Don't worry, I won't keep you waiting too long. I would like to make an honest woman of you soon." He chuckles.

"Soon could be forever if you're going off my definition." I sigh.

"That would be troublesome, wouldn't it?" His eyes sparkle.

"Indeed." I nod.

Noah wanders around the bed and stands before me. I slide off the bed and wrap my arms around his neck. One arm circle around my waist while his other hand slides under the material of my shirt and strokes my hip.

I slide my fingers through his hair and shuffle as close as I can. So much love and passion swirls through me, to the point where I feel I might explode.

This wasn't supposed to happen but I'm happy it did.