▸LIGHT BULBS

LIGHT BULBS

LIGHT BULBS

Friday, the 23rd of March

Noah hands me the last light bulb and I screw it into the remaining slot. I take a step back and admire our handy work. The structure could be better, but once the lights are on, you'd never notice the little imperfections.

"Are you ready to turn the lights on?" Noah smiles.

"Yes, power this bad boy up!" I cheer.

Noah plugs the power cord into the socket and I squeal. He wanders around and proudly smiles at the completed project.

"Does this mean I've passed woodwork for the year?"

"You've done an amazing job, you should be very proud of yourself."

"I couldn't have done this without you, though."

"Can you turn the classroom lights off? I want to see how bright this thing is."

"Sure." I nod.

I turn the lights off and we gasp at how bright it is. The curtains fly open and Noah struts through them. He twirls around and strikes a pose which has me in stitches.

"One-hundred dollars for a date with this man," I shout.

"Only one-hundred?" He gasps.

"I have one dollar to my name, so one-hundred might as well be a million." I chuckle.

"Sold to that young, beautiful woman. Please come and claim your date."

I bound over and wrap my arms around his neck. He twirls me around and plants his lips on mine. Noah places me on the ground and cups my cheek, then deepens our kiss.

Somebody knocks on the door and we both groan.

He strides across the room and flips the lights on before opening the door.

"Wonderful timing Samantha, Charlie has just finished the stage."

"Wow, it's amazing." She gasps.

Samantha inspects every detail and it makes my stomach knot.

"You've done an amazing job, I can't wait for everyone to see it." She smiles. "We just need a red carpet and everything is done."

"I'm sure someone in the drama department can help you with that." Noah comments.

"Thank you, Mr. East for all the help."

"You should also thank Charlie for helping."

"Thanks, Charlie." She tears her gaze away long enough for that comment to seem genuine.

"We should hurry to the gym otherwise the others might think we've forgotten about them."

Samantha forces a smile and nods.

I collect my things and practically drag her from the room. On the bright side, I'm one day closer to telling Samantha he's all mine.

* * * * *

When I leave the change rooms, I discover Samantha lounging on the handlebars of Percy's exercise bike. He's grumbling about something which sets off my curiosity.

"Don't you think that it could-" Samantha peeks over her shoulder and smiles.

"Hey." I wave.

"You should start warming up with the others." Samantha nods to the group of cheerleaders on the yoga mats.

"Is everything okay, Percy?"

Percy climbs off the exercises bike and glares at Samantha.

"She thinks you're cheating on me."

"You thought I was cheating on Percy?" I gasp.

"I never said you were cheating on Percy." She glares.

"Then what the hell were you saying?"

"Nothing."

"It seems like crazy doesn't fall far from the tree," Percy grumbles. "Leave our relationship alone and stop trying to make a thing out of nothing. You're old enough to know better."

"What did you say?" Samantha growls.

"You heard me." Percy storms away, leaving her gasping.

"I can't believe you'd accuse me of cheating."

"I never said you were cheating, just that I've been noticing some odd things. When Noah arrived at the police station, he looked at you like nobody else existed. He never asked how Jayden was, despite being beaten up, instead he wanted to know how you were."

"Jarrod is the one stalking me, though."

"He's not stalking you."

"There's something not right about his behaviour. Mr. East was worried because I'm dating his nephew and he knows about Jarrod and how uncomfortable it makes me."

"Maybe I'm just being insecure?" Her she goes, all about herself.

"I thought we were friends, Samantha. I made that stupid stage and begged Percy to convince Mr. East to agree to the carnival idea. I can't believe you'd suggest that."

"Please forgive me, I have no idea why I even thought about it." She frowns.

"You're forgiven."

I'm still hurt by her words but I channel all those emotions into my work out. Three more months and I won't have to deal with this petty drama.