Chapter 29 - Thank you

I woke up by my phone ringing the ringtone I didn’t want to hear. I groaned while rubbing my eye. I shot up when I realized it could be about my grandma. I quickly glanced over at the clock, it was 4 A.M.

'Hello?’ I answered with a raspy voice. 'Megan, it’s Juliana..’ I recognized the voice of my aunt immediately. 'It’s vó, she passed away an hour ago.. Your mom wanted to let you know but .. She isn’t able to come on the phone.’ I felt tears slip down my cheeks. 'They’re bringing her to the morgue.. You can greet her the coming days.. Stay strong..’ She murmured some other things before hanging up 

I dropped my phone and it softly landed next to my body.

'Babe?’ Ney’s soft voice sounded tired. When I didn’t answered he sat up straight. I looked at his face before returning my gaze back to my hands. 

'Mue amor?’ He gently grabbed my face in his hands. 'Did she..?’ He didn’t finish his sentence and tried to get a hold of my gaze. I closed my eyes and brought a hand up to my mouth. I nodded.

He pulled me against his chest and stroked my back up and down.

'It is okay.. She’s in a better place now..’ He whispered. He kissed my hair before pulling away. He gently pulled my hand away from my mouth. He intertwined our hands.

'I-I don’t know i-if she is.’ I spoke hesitantly, trying not to sob. He didn’t answer. He simply pulled me back against his chest. 'I’m here for you, we’re all here for you and your family.’

My head laid against his chest while he scrolled trough his Instagram feed. 

'You want some water?’ His voice softly reached my ears. 'No, thank you..’ I murmured before returning my gaze to his phone again. 'You should drink and eat something..’ I shook my head. 'I don’t want to.. Maybe later.’ I whispered before laying my hand on his. I used my thumb to scroll further on the screen. 

'It’s only 7 A.M. I’ll eat in an hour or so..’ He softly shifted underneath me. 'Okay..’

His chin rested on my hair as he looked with me on the screen. 

A comfortable silence was among us until I decided to break it.

'I want to thank you for everything. For being there for me when I needed you, for being my shoulder to cry on. Thank you for making me laugh until my stomach hurts. Thank you for putting up with my bad moods and my stupid comments. Thank you for being my best friend and my boyfriend.’ I bit on my lip before continuing. 'I don’t tell you enough but you’re beautiful, or how you like it..’

 I stopped for a second. 

’You’re sexy. I miss you when you’re gone even if it’s just for training. I don’t tell you enough how much I love you and how much more I love you everyday.’ I felt a tear slid down my face and wanted to wipe it away but he beat me to that. His finger wiped the tear away and he was silent.

'And I wanted to point out how important you are to me. But you are also important to Davi, your family, your friends.. To everyone. We all love you so much and .. I still can’t believe that I spend almost everyday with you.’ I softly said. 'I’m sorry, I’m just so emotional.’ He softly chuckled before pressing a kiss on my cheek. 

'I love you, so much. You are one of the most important persons in my whole life. I would give up a lot for you..’ He softly said in my ear. 'I love to hear you talk like that. I love it when you explain things.’ He gently pressed some kisses in my neck before sighing.

'I hate to see you upset.’ I faintly smiled. 'I love you a lot.’ 

I went to see her a few times before the funeral. My aunt asked me if I wanted to speak on my grandma her funeral and I agreed. 

And soon the day was there, the day that we needed to say goodbye to her, forever.

I stood there with weak knees, looking at the many people who came to say goodbye. I hadn’t prepared a note, although Ney said it would be better. I softly bit on my lip before readjusting the microphone.

'Grandma was a special person. Not only to me, but to many. She was an inspiring figure.’ I saw some people with handkerchiefs in their hand, drying the tears that were streaming down their cheeks.

'She missed grandpa. Not a day would pass that she wouldn’t think of him. She’s reunited with him again, a new chapter in their life has begun together.’ I smiled a little and looked at my hands for a moment. I folded my hands together and gazed back to the people. My eyes locked for a moment with Ney’s eyes. 

'She always looked at the bright side of life, she always told me to enjoy while I could. She always wanted the best for us. She never made a wrong turn because there weren’t any..’ 

I teared my gaze away from Ney and looked at the coffin. 'She was a friend to many, she was a grandma to few. We’ll never forget anything of her. She’ll always stay in our hearts.’ I took a deep breath. 

'Thank you for the many years of support grandma, we love you and we miss you. I’m glad you’re back with grandpa, good luck up there.’ I felt a tear slip down my cheek while walking back to my place. I sat down and Rafa passed me a handkerchief. 'Beautiful..’ 

She murmured before grabbing my hand. 

I took another sip of my bottle before tossing it to the side. 'So will you be able to fly to Paris in 3 days?’ Jessie’s voice sounded stressed. 'I can cancel it.. I mean-’ I interrupted her. 'No, I will fly. We’re already back in Barcelona so I’ll make it.’ I said before grabbing my agenda. 'In a week I’ll be flying to  Italy.’ I said before writing Paris in my agenda. 'Are you sure you’re fine?’ I sighed annoyed. 'Yes! For god’s sake, why keeps everyone asking me this?’ It was quiet for a moment. 'I’ll call you back tomorrow.’ Jessie said, obviously shocked by my sudden outburst before hanging up. 

We returned a day after the funeral. Ney kept asking me if it was a good idea and if I didn’t want to spend time with my family. I couldn’t bare to be there anymore, everything reminded me of her. Everything made me want to cry in Brazil, so lucky for me we returned pretty soon.

Ariana wanted to come by but I said I was busy and I wouldn’t have time to see her so she agreed we would meet up in the upcoming days, probably. 

My thoughts were interrupted by the click of our door and Ney appearing in the door. 'What are you doing here?’ I frowned. He chuckled while dumping his back in the opening. 'Hello to you to. I’m happy to see you to.’ I rolled my eyes.

'That’s not what I mean.’ He smiled before sitting next to me and pulling me on his lap. His arms rested around my waist while he pressed a kiss on my forehead. 

'Came home earlier. Coach said that we could use an extra day of.’ He inspected my face like something was wrong. 

'How are you feeling?’ I pressed away the urge to roll my eyes. 'I’m fine. How are you?’ He faintly smiled. 'I know you’re not.’ He traced my jawline with his finger. 'I know you’re lying. But I’m good. I’m glad to be back.’ I sighed before lacing my arms around his neck. 'Everyone is asking me that question. Great, what do you want to eat?’ His eyes lit up playfully. 

'You!’ We both began laughing before he attached our lips together. When things got more intense he wanted to pull away. 'Make me forget, please.’ I whimpered before attaching our lips once more and he did what I asked him.