Chapter 17: A New Company, or Two?

Meanwhile when Rhen and her party fought with Zarich, the guy-who-was-behind-it was not in a good mood.

He was, as usual, staring outside through the elegant-looking window, deeply in thought on his past time. When he was born (summoned, to be precised) by a necromancer who turned out was a useless brat, the time when he was about to dominate the whole world when he was sealed by Talia and her meddling friends. If weren't for them, he would have a great time ruling the world by now. Anger built inside him whenever he thought back that painful memory. Later a voice pulled him back to reality. He turned and noticed his blue-suited general.

"Sire, all the souls of the druids are collected. Just as we've planned," reported Agas.

"Good. We should proceed to the next step immediately," Ahriman nodded and Agas walked away.

"Hold on," ordered Ahriman. Agas turned back and walked back to his master. "I have a favor for you."

~~~

After a flick of his fingers, the guards walked and followed Agas out of the room. As the double door closed firmly, he raised his hand and barred the doors. He headed back to his throne, his dark robe brushed along the red carpet that paved the room, and stood in front of a stone pedestal with demonic wordings craving on it. He waved and a black book flew to his hand. He wiped away the thick dust and a bold golden words that said "The Darke Index" glistening at him. After got the right page, Ahriman started chanting.

"Nadir, Altsgrad, Nedevil, Gashel..." circle of magic surrounded the pedestal and glyph of words forming around as he chanted along the way. He concentrated hard, ignoring that painful memory and finished the spell. "... I, the Darke Daeva, hereby andt summone the darked minions. Rise from thy deepest world of darkness and serve your master! Awake children! Awake!"

The whole room rumbled and a massive black hole appeared in the middle of the room. Troop of armies marched out and stood in a beeline. It was seconds before an assemble of armies lined up and filled the whole throne room.

"My faithful armies! The time has come!" boomed Ahriman, who was full of delight. "Time to accomplish what should we have done years ago!"

~~~

Chorus of roar rang the whole lair as Agas was standing behind the door while eavesdrop on what his master was doing inside.

He summoned the armies, he thought, I should do my duty right away.

"Agas, I have a favor for you," said Ahriman before the summoning ritual. "I want you to protect a... belongings of mine," he gave Agas an azure box with strange words written on it.

"Guard it safely. Someone might look for it later."

"Your wishes are my commands, Sire," Agas accepted the box and left the room.

He casted a portal and stepped through. He had work to do.

~~~

Rhen entered the treasure room of Rashnu and took a sunblock, as he allowed her to take one of his treasures for saving him. She bumped onto someone as she was heading to the entrance of the temple and lost her balance. Fortunately, a hand stretched out and caught her just in time.

"Oh, thank you and sorry for... " she mumbled before realised that a good looking guy stood before her. He wore a gold embroidered robe with a sun engraved on the cloak. His ponytail suited well with his oval face, a knot of thin long beard on his chin. Two pools of caramel eyes staring at her.

 "I'm sorry. I don't know you're here," he helped Rhen rose on her feet. "Anyway, I'm Dameon, the Sun Guardian," he gave a toothy smile at her.

"Rhen, Sword Singer. Nice to meet you," she replied with a smile.

"You've come, the Druid of Light, welcomed the Oracle. "Have a journey lately?"

"Not eventful. Thank to the gods."

"I don't think we've met. Are you one of the druids?" asked Rhen.

"Rhen, this is my son Dameon, the sun priest," Talia joined their conversation.

"Pleased to meet you," Dameon kissed Rhen's hand, who blushed like a tomato, and smiled. Lars rolled his eyes.

"My...mother...has told me so much about you."

"Is there anything wrong with that?" Rhen wondered. Dameon remained silent.

"He's upset with me over something that occurred in our past," explained Talia.

"You brush off father's death lightly mother," Dameon spatted. Talia became quiet. She walked away and continued to chat with her long-lost friend.

"Forgive me, Rhen, a lady shouldn't have to be exposed to such family quarreling," Dameon apologised. "I've heard great things about you. The gift of sword magic is rare. I've heard that your gift is especially powerful."

"Yes, I suppose some would say so," Rhen looked down, hiding away her face as she was blushing furiously.

"If you need anything, by all means, ask me and I'll do my best to answer them," Dameon winked, Rhen chuckled, and Lars rolled his eyes again.

"What's wrong with your family anyway?" Lars threw the question to Dameon, who answered it regardless of his rude manner.

"Many years ago, my mother killed my father. She said it had to be done for the sake of the world, but I think she's lying.

"My father was a good man and I shall never forgive her."

"Sun priest, would you like to join our crew?" offered Elini.

"I hoped you might ask. I would like to come with you on your journeys," Dameon smiled. "With the power of the sun at my fingertips, I can be of much use."

"Er...sure. Just don't get in the way," muttered Lars, but Dameon ignored him.

Talia gave Rhen, Lars, Elini and Dameon her blessings before they continued their quest.

"My son, have you forgiven me yet?"

"You killed father. How can I forgive you for that?"

"He had to die, you know that," Talia said in a calming tone.

"What happened to the druid's father? Why did he have to die?" asked the southerner.

"He was the sun priest before Dameon. He turned to dark ways and used the power of the sun to help Ahriman return to power."

"That's what you say, mother," Dameon spatted and walked out of the temple. After saying goodbyes, Rhen's party followed him out.

~~~

Back to Ghed'ahre...

"Humans. You're brave. I hear that you destroyed the demon in the basement of the church," praised the vampress. "Have you found me what I need?"

"We have sunblock lotion, would you like it?" Rhen handed her the lotion.

"You have my gratitude," the vampress was applying the lotion. "Would you allow me to accompany you to the surface? I could be of use and I have...skills."

"As long as you don't bite any of us, you can come,"

"You drive a hard bargain human, but I'll agree to your demands,"

"What's your name anyway, M'lady?" inquired Dameon.

"I'm Te'ijal and oh my," she exclaimed. "How adorable you are," she walked towards him and taking a brief look.

"I'll blind you with my holy light if you dare to touch me!" the sun priest backed a few paces.

"No worry, my little rabbit. You're not suitable to be my dish," said Te'ijal sarcastically. "I'm allergic to druids."

Dameon sighed in relief while Rhen giggled.