Chapter 31: The Last Obstacle

The dark cavern, which was located at the outskirt of Thais, was no different to the other caverns they had visited before. Cautiously trudging inside, wiping out the nasty creatures -- which turned to be the remains in the last war -- that blocked their way, minding their head from hitting the stalactites, looking at the ground from time to time from tripping over the stalagmites while enjoying the music orchestrated by the water droppings.

"Are we there yet?" asked Lars impatiently.

"Soon," said Te'ijal. "The demonic scent is getting stronger. We must be near."

They were deep in the conversation when Lars stepped onto a stone, which appeared to be sinking afterwards. Rows of tiny holes formed on the wall. Before they could make out what situation they were in, darts of arrows shooting out.

Dameon reacted quickly, "Shield Extora!" The arrows made a huge impact on the shield like bullets firing from all over the place. "Run! I can't hold no longer!" They ran for their dear life until a wall blocked their way.

"It's a dead end! What should we do?!" yelled someone from behind. They could not make out whose voice it was as the arrows hit on the shield made a thunderous booming sound.

"I'll make a path!" Rhen stepped forward. "Trinity Fury!" They entered the room and dashed aside just intime to evade the incoming arrows coming from behind. They held the breath, the arow shower went dead seconds later.

"We're here," said Te'ijal. "The scent here is the strongest."

"I don't see anyone else in here, besides us," said John, scanning the room.

"Let's look around," drawing out his sword, Galahad started inspecting the place, searching for any signs of life form. Apparently someone did live in that room. Remains of the creatures being piled up at a corner. The putrid smell of the rotting carcasses made them barely to swallow back the gastric juice coming from their stomach. A cot, made out of the skin of the creatures that lived within the cave, laid by a fancy-looking chest. From the way the demon put, there must be something so special that it must be protected.

An unfamiliar footsteps echoed behind Rhen as she knelt in front of the chest. She turned around but saw no one. Her friends were busy searching the other parts of the room. She turned back and laid her eyes onto the chest. Attempting to lift the lid open but it won't budge, she examined the box and noticed it did have a keyhole. Rhen rummaged her pocket and took out a magical picklock that she had bought in Thais. She was about to open the chest and have a look what was inside when a voice echoed out of nowhere.

"Don't you dare open my chest!!"

Before she could react an invisible force pushed Rhen away, who fell sliding on the floor.

"Rhen!" Lars called out. He ran towards her direction but being pushed by the same force away from her.

"Shield Extora!" Dameon summoned enough barriers to protect each of his friends to prevent further injuries.

Galahad pulled Rhen up to her feet, who then wiped the smudge away from her face. Drawing out her sword, Rhen readied herself to face her opponents. She looked around, seeing nothing but her friends, who were as puzzled as she was. Te'ijal closed her eyes, feeling the movement of their foe. In instant, she pulled the bowstring and fired couple of arrows toward Dameon. Instead of hitting him, an invisible force deflect the arrows away. Dameon ran away as the demon revealed himself.

"It's the demon that attacked the fairies in Memory Cavern!" gasped the priest. He had known all of these when Elini and he stayed to help the poor fairies back then. "He stole the Father Time's soul!"