Chapter 21: Assassination

The party decided that they would meet up at the Merchant's Pass in one hour. When Rhen, Lars and Te'ijal reached there, Dameon and Elini were already waiting for them. After that, they went to Sedona via the Peninnsula Trade Route.

Sedona, undoubtedly, was the grandest city in the Western Kingdom. People from all around the world crowded the broad concrete path. As they were heading towards the city square, hundreds of stalls set up in all directions. They have everything all across the globe. You need it, we have it.

Before Rhen could speak, the party split up. Lars went to an apothecary stall nearby, Elini was upgrading her gears while Te'ijal was trying on a fancy-looking bow. Rhen scowled and Dameon chuckled. They strolled around the square, ignoring the yelling of the sellers in an attempt to clear all of their goods and the bargaining of the customers. Rhen wrinkled her nose as they walked past the fish stall. The putrid and rancid smell of the fishes made her going to throw up, but she didn't. They stopped at the centre of the city square, where a beautiful fountain stood. She took out a gold penny and cupped it with her hand, which then put against her chest. She closed her eyes before throwing the coin into the fountain.

"Say, what do you wished for?" piped Dameon.

"It's a secret," Rhen stuck out her tongue and got elbowed in reply. "Okay, I'll tell you. I wished that all these mess will be ended soon."

"No worry, Rhenny dear. I'll fight with you until the end," Dameon squeezed her hand.

"Hey! Don't call me that!" Rhen elbowed him, who chuckled in reply. She scanned around the place and noticed a guy was waving at her. At first she wondered who he was, then she beamed as he ran towards them.

"Danny!" she exclaimed. "You made it to Sedona!"

"I told you I would! Isn't this beautiful Rhen?" Danny was wearing a white collar shirt with a khaki pants which looked casual and smart to him. His caramel-hair stood up as if he used hair wax.

"I guess so," she shrugged. "I've never seen a city so obsessed with cheese, have you?"

"Ha! You noticed this too?" Danny wrinkled his nose. "I agree. They're obssessed." Soon they were in deep conversations. Few minutes later, Rhen waved goodbye before joining back with Dameon.

"I think he likes you, Rhen," piped Dameon after a moment of awkward silence.

"You may be right..." Rhen blushed.

"He's too short for you and his nose is too long," he commented.

"Why, Dameon?" Rhen astonished. "Are you jealous?"

"Jealous! Me?!" he blushed and Rhen smirked.

~~~

Sedona Castle stood majestically on the tallest hill of the city. A servant opened the cypress door for them and bowed with curtesy. Rows of knight statues stood with pride along the main corridor. Rhen was entranced by the crystal chandelier glistening from the ceiling. In the main atrium, they were welcomed by two rows of castle guards standing beside the red carpet paved all the way to the throne, which the King sat onto it. Rhen and Dameon knelt.

"Welcome, travellers," said the King. "Please stand up."

When they were on their feet, Rhen noticed a knight in shiny armor standing beside the King. His suit was different compared to the castle guards'. His suit was probably made up of finer material, she thought.Just as Rhen was enthralled by the knight's outfit, scream came out from nowhere.

"Look out!" Dameon pulled Rhen down in the nick of time as something flew past their head and landed onto something with a "Thud!".

What on earth? Rhen thought. She helped Dameon to his feet and looked at the object. A dagger was stuck inches above the king.