Chapter 8: Land of Endless Snow

"Aww, how long we have to wait for her anyway? We've been waiting here for almost half an hour, and there is no sight of that priestess yet. I'm getting mouldy here now, and my patient is very thin. You should know that..." Lars complained while he was standing at the front gate of Veldarah.

"Would you please cut it out? You're driving me crazy now." snapped Rhen, irritated and annoyed by her companion. "Besides that, I think she will be here right---" she stopped abruptly as she heard swishing sound nearby.

"Shh! I think I heard something's moving, and it comes from that direction." whispered Rhen as she pointed at the nearby bushes. Lars stopped whining and turned into his serious state.

The bushes shook unnaturally like a shining green sheep standing on a block of ice and suddenly a pair of bloody-red eyes shot appeared and glared at them with a pair of dagger like fangs to go with it.

"Brace yourself." Lars whispered as he sensed a mysterious aura around that creature, a long black oak staff gripped tightly on his hand. While Rhen took her apprentice sword (which was a gift from Master Lorad for passing the trial) and calibrated to the center between her eyes, facing the source of the deep growling sound.

Just then, the eyes vanished and a beast leaped out. It stank of rotten fish on dried blood. It scratched her arm, who hasn't prepared for an attack yet. She groaned as blood drip on the road. The beast was on four while looking at its foes, razor-like teeth bared at them. It jumped again after a little quick rest and pounced at Rhen's direction. As it was about to finish its first prey, Lars stood in front of Rhen and conjured a spell.

"Lytrik Shocke!" A jolt of lightning emitted from the tip of the staff and hit the beast on its massive head. It's body stiffen suddenly and fell onto the ground, motionless.

"Excellent job, young sorcerer." Talia dropped out from one of the trees behind them and gave a hefty pat on Lars' shoulder. He grinned with glee and again Rhen rolled her eyes, imaging his head swelling up with self-praise. She mouthed "show off" at him which made him grunted.

"Would you escort me to Aveyond?" asked Talia. Then with a flick of her hand, the creature staggered to its feet and proceeded to whine while fleeing into the bushes, tail between its hind legs.

"Yes and why would you bring a beast here? It almost cut my arm clean off, you see," Rhen crossed as she show the priestess the wound.

"I just want to test you guys whether you can deal with some situations or not...and it seems that our little sorcerer manage to protect himself but you as well," answered Talia as she healed Rhen's wound. "Heale Minora!...Here, as good as new."

"Can we go now? I'm tired standing around here." Lars complained, cursing each time a mosquito stung him.

"We must leave the Eastern Isle and travel across the northern sea. Aveyond lies beyond The Mists," explained Talia and they set off to the North Isle.

After a few minutes' walk they reached a small dock. It was situated a few miles West from Veldarah. The weather was nice and the sea was calm, perfect time to do some travelling for the fellow friends.

"And now what?" asked Lars, irritated by the smell, a mixture of rotten garbage, sweaty sailors and a hint of putrid fish oil.

"Maybe we can look for a boat to sail across the sea," spoke Talia.

"And maybe the boat man can help us," said Rhen as she pointed at a guy not far from an edge of a pier.

"Oui travellers! Would you like a boat ride to the Northern Isle? It'll cost you 20 gold pennies for the ride," the handsome boat man spoke with a heavy French accent to his voice. He saw Rhen and winked at her. They ignored him and gave the gold pennies and got on the boat.