Chapter 1: Strange Dream

"Where am I?" Rhen wondered, shivering as the chilly wind flowed and passed her body.

She got up and discovered that she was in a dark and windy forest. It was new moon, so the forest felt eerie, not a soul in sight. The swishing sound of the leaves stirred up by the cold breeze, bats flying to feed, deep howling of a lone wolf, all of it made her goosebumps. When she was about to faint, a glimpse of light got her attention.

"What's that? Some kind of orb?" Rhen thought as she moved nearer to the unknown sources. Finally the forest grew totally dark again. And a beautiful, melodious voice rang throughout the forest.

"You must come, my child...The time has come...Prepare yourself..."

"Who are you? And what do you want from me?" Rhen yelled, uncertainly where the voice came from.

"Follow the dreamer...she will tell you what is to be done..." And the voice stopped.

"What dreamer? What is it that I have to do? And who are you? Where are you?" But it seems that she was just talking to herself.

Suddenly the forest vanished, and she realised that she had woke up, sweating and noticed that she is in her room.

~~~~~

Rhen looked around her room blankly, it was just a few hours after dawn. A speck of sunlight shone through the curtain and into her eyes. Sweats flowing down her forehead and soaked her clothes.

"It wasn't real, it was a dream. That's all," said Rhen in relief.

~~~~~

"Rhen, are you alright? Hello?!? Anyone there?" Nina shook Rhen's shoulder as they walked around the park.

It was a cozy, sunny spring afternoon in Clearwater. Cool breeze swept across the highland of the West Isle. Flowers were blooming from their bud, trying to show off their beauty to their friends. Birds were singing their melodious songs to their partners, chirping happily high up on the trees. Squirrels came out of their "house" and having fun, squeaking loudly like a group of playful children.

"Wh-What? What happened? What's the problem?" Rhen snapped off from her day-dreaming and realised that her friend was staring at her.

"The problem is you, Rhen. You hadn't talk since this morning. You didn't even touch your lunch. Are you feeling well?" Nina asked, worried about her.

"It's okay. I'm fine. I was just thinking about something just now." Rhen reassured her. She was trying to get some sense out from the dream that she had.

"Are you sure? Oh my!" Nina gasped. "You look pale, Rhen! Do you want me to bring you home?"

"Nah, I'm alright. There's nothing wrong with me. Could you help me pass a message to Ma that I'll be backing home late?"

"Err...Sure, I guess. Take care of yourself, and don't get home so late, okay?"

"Mmm..." And without a word, Nina left.

~~~~~

"I wonder what happened to Rhen today. She's not her usual self at all." Nina thought as she was on the way to Mr. Darzon's house.

"She's not like her old self: a talkative person, an apple of everyone's eyes, and seldom...or I should say...never feel troubled before since the day I met her. I wonder what's going on?" She reached the porch and knocked on the door.

"Oh hi there, Nina. What a day. What can I do for you today? Come in and have a cup of tea." said Mrs. Darzon, standing by the opened door.

"Well good day Mrs. Darzon, thanks for your offer," Nina stepped in and sat at the dining table.

"Here you go..." Mrs. Darzon putting the cup of tea on the dining table.

"Thank you very much." Nina said and took a sip.

"So what can I help you with at this moment, dear?" Mrs. Darzon asked, as she prepared dinner.

"Oh, it's just Rhen. She wants me to tell you that she'll be coming home late for dinner. That's all."

"Oh okay, thank you. Please make yourself at home, you must be tired." She said with a big smile on her face.

There was a long pause and Nina decided to break the silence.

"Umm, Mrs. Darzon?"

"Yes, sweetie?"

"There's something I want to talk to you about."

Mrs. Darzon put down her cooking knife, took off her apron, and sat down beside Nina.

"Well dear, what's that you want to talk about?"

"Well...I don't know where to start...It's about Rhen actually..."

And Nina had a longest talk with Mrs. Darzon or anyone else in her life.

~~~~~

"Whose voice was that? And what has come? Most importantly, who's the dreamer that I need to follow?" Rhen was still thinking about the dream as she strolled around the park.

A butterfly flew past her and Rhen stopped to take a look at it. It turned and fluttered around her. It ended in front of her.

"Oh my! Where did you come from? Why, you are the strangest thing I've ever seen!" Rhen exclaimed.

She stretched out her hand and the butterfly flew lower and landed on her palm. Suddenly, there was light glowing from it and Rhen found out that she was not at Clearwater anymore.