37: Evan

Evan and Connor were sitting in maths one morning when Evan saw a note slide onto his desk. He turned around to find Connor smiling at him. Evan opened up the note.

You doing anything this afternoon?

Connor X

Evan smiled.

No don't really have anything planned

Evan neatly wrote below Connor's writing. He held the note in his hand and felt Connor take it from him, their hands brushing past each other. Evan could hear Connor writing something down behind him, and kept one eye on the corner of his desk. The paper slid back on his desk.

Wanna skip class?

Ordinarily Evan would have been completely against the idea, but today, today felt different. He handed the note back to Connor.

Sure X

The two of them waited for class to end, counting down the minutes until the bell rang for lunch. Together they walked out of the classroom and bolted to their lockers, emptying them before taking off hand in hand right out of the school. Evan felt his heart pounding in his chest, he never did anything like this before.

"So what shall we do then Hansen?" Evan just smiled up at Connor.

"The park?" Connor rolled his eyes.

"Of course you want to go to the park." Connor smiled and squeezed Evan's hand in his, "The park it is." The two of them walked down to the state forest, Evan bounded ahead.

"Race you!" Connor shook his head.

"Hey! That's cheating you got a head start!" Evan ran to the other end of the park but Connor still caught up with him, perks of having tall legs. Connor laughed as Evan was catching his breath. "You got a head start and yet i still beat you." Evan rolled his eyes.

"You have longer legs than me!" Connor just laughed and pouted.

"Aw why so sad?" Evan smiled as Connor collected him in his arms and kissed him.

"Alright you win." Evan wrapped his arms around Connor's neck and pulled him close. It was just the two of them, alone, in a forest full of trees. They spent the entire afternoon there. Just the two of them, climbing trees, enjoying each other's company. At one point Connor ran off and was surprised when Evan wasn't behind him, anywhere.

"Hansen! Hansen! Evan where the hell are you?" Meanwhile Evan was watching all this from a tree, couple of branches above Connor. Evan smiled as he positioned himself to jump. He landed right on top of Connor, knocking him to the ground. He didn't hurt him or anything, Connor laughed as he stared up at Evan as he lay completely flat against the ground.

"Did you just do a drop bear on me?" Evan just laughed as he rolled over. The two of them stared back at each other, Connor found Evan hand and held it tightly. Evan had a flashback to that time all those months ago when him and Connor were sitting behind the school. Connor had been laughing at his hilarious joke, and once he calmed down he just laid there smiling at Evan. Evan smiled at the memory, that was probably once of the first times Evan truely felt something for Connor, felt affection towards him even though he didn't know it yet. And look how far they had come. Connor pulled his phone out of pocket.

"What are you doing?" Evan asked. Connor just smiled.

"Music." He said, shaking his phone. He tapped a couple of buttons and put the phone near their heads as he laid back down. The two of them laid there hand in hand as the music played. A couple of Green Day and Red Hot Chilli Peppers songs later, Evan saw Connor's smile spread across his face.

"What?" Evan asked. Connor just smiled to himself.

"Nothing, I just love this song." The song started playing and Evan kind if recognised it, like when you come across a song they used to play on the radio years ago, and you didn't know you knew it.

"What's this one called?" Connor looked over.

"When You Were Young by The Killers." Connor was bopping his head to the intro when he started singing. Evan felt his chest flutter as he listened to Connor's voice.

You sit there in your heartache

Waiting for some beautiful boy to

Connor smiled at Evan at that part, squeezing his hand tightly.

To save you from your old ways

You play forgiveness

Watch it now

Connor bought Evan to his feet and started dancing, belting at the top of his lungs.

He doesn't look a thing like Jesus

But he talks like a gentleman

Like you imagined when you were young

Connor grabbed Evans hands and made him dance, twirling his around. The two of them danced and before long Evan was belting out the chorus with Connor, not a care in the world.

They say the devils water

It ain't so sweet

You don't have to drink right now

Connor stopped dancing and brushed the hair that had fallen from his bun out of his eyes, and pushed it behind his ears. He grabbed Evan by the waist and pulled him close, he grabbed Evan's arms and put them around his neck. Evan didn't really know what to do, he had never danced like this before. Connor just smiled as he set both his hands on Evan's waist and began to sway.

But you can dip in your feet

Every once in a... little while

Connor leaned in and kissed Evan gently on the lips. Evan's grip tighter slightly on Connor's neck as the two of them swayed to the instrumental, kissing and holding each other close. The chorus came around again but Connor didn't let Evan go, he just held him close and pressed his forehead against Evan's, Evan closed his eyes taking in the moment. The music, the grass beneath their feet, the beautiful man he held in his arms. The two danced until the song ended. Evan's stomach started rumbling like mad.

"You want to go get something to eat? I think there is a pie place on the corner?" Connor just beamed.

"I could do with a good fucking pie right now." The two of them walked hand-in-hand up to a store with a big sign reading "Lulu's Pies" on the front. The two of them got a pie each, and Connor slipped a twenty dollar note across the counter before Evan had a say in it.

"Hey i am capable of paying for myself!" Connor just smirked.

"I'll take care of my Evan thank you." Evan thanked Connor by giving him a kiss on the cheek as they walked out with their pies. Connor took one bite and gasped.

"Holy fucking shit that is what good fucking pie." Evan burst of laughing as he bit into his, and he had to admit, Connor wasn't wrong. It was a damn good pie. The two of them went and sat under a nearby tree and ate their lunch. The sat there for a couple hours after, just gazing out at the field and the sky. Evan stole Connor's phone and they spent ages taking pictures together, of them kissing and smiling and holding each other. Evan laid down on Connor's lap, as Connor played with Evan's hair, smiling down at him as he did. Evan closed his eyes and held onto Connor's arm. Evan couldn't think of anywhere else he'd rather be at this point, than in that park with the man he loved most in the world. There was nothing else that could compete with that happiness. He had all he needed in the world, he had his Connor Murphy and that was it.

Unfortunately for Evan Hansen, that day in the park would be the last good day for a while.