11: Evan

Zoe picked Evan up at three, just like she said she would. Together they got in the car and drove off. For the first couple of minutes neither of them said a word which just made Evan uncomfortable. What was the etiquette with these sorts of things? Did the guy speak first?

"Ah Zoe how did your English test go?" Zoe smiled.

"Yeah really well i got my results back, i got an +A." Evan beamed.

"Wow Zoe that, that is incredible." She shrugged, but was unable to wipe the smile off her face.

"You are the one who made it happen Evan, I wouldn't have done as well without you." Evan shrugged.

"You don't know that, I didn't help that much."

"But you did." Zoe said, her face growing serious, "Not just with the test either. I mean, everything you've done for Connor as well." At the mention of his name Evan felt his chest flutter. He tried to play it cool.

"Really like what?" Zoe smiled shyly.

"You just being there for him Evan, being his friend that's more, means more to us than anything. Before Connor used to storm in the house making threats and refusing to come out of his room as he smoked weed on his floor. But now, i mean I've walked past his bedroom to see him smiling on his phone and his emails. He's never been like that before Evan, not in a long time at least." A moments silence lingered between them. Evan smiled to himself, he knew he was blushing but he wasn't too worried about it. Zoe was driving so its unlikely shed see and he could always blame it on anxiety or the heat. But all he could think about was Connor sitting in his room, whatever it may look like, smiling at his phone and all the conversations they shared. It gave Evan the feeling of butterflies in his stomach. "Okay we are here!" Evan jumped out of the car and rushed ahead to hold the door open for Zoe.

"After you!" Zoe giggled as she thanked him. They scanned the arrays of flavours until they finally picked one out each. Zoe got one scoop caramel swirl and one scoop triple choc. Evan got one scoop of mint chocolate, mint was his favourite because it tasted like the plant itself. Even when it came to flavours, Evan always liked trees. Evan stepped in front and got his wallet out to pay. Zoe looked shocked.

"Geez Evan you don't have to pay it's fine-" Evan shook his head.

"No it's okay, i want to pay." He took both the ice-cream and went down to a booth at the far end. They both sat down.

"You didn't have to do that." Evan smiled.

"It's fine really, i mean you drove us here it was the least i could do. And besides, my mum is like so over the moon I'm leaving the house on a weekend so she's just handing me money, like note after note pretty much." Zoe laughed.

"But why don't you leave they house?" Evan shrugged.

"I don't know just never had any friends really, that and i don't like leaving me house it makes me uncomfortable. It's an anxiety thing." Zoe nodded.

"You know you do that a lot huh?" Evan blinked.

"What, sorry?" Zoe laughed quietly.

"Shrug your shoulder, and blink a lot, and look down at the floor." Evan nodded.

"Yeah, also an anxiety thing." Zoe piped up.

"Hey so what's your favourite movie? Sorry it's just a thing i like to ask people." Evan thought for a minute.

"I don't really know, i don't exactly watch movies often. I mean if they come on tv i might sit down but otherwise i tend to just stick to my laptop." Zoe raised her eyebrows.