15: Evan

Days went by and Connor hadn't showed up. He didn't respond to any of Evan's texts or emails. And Evan quite frankly didn't have the guts to go talk to Zoe, he had been avoiding her all week. Which he felt horrible about he knew it wasn't fair to treat her like that but he just had so much on his mind he just couldn't mentally prepare himself to face her. Evan couldn't even bring himself to sit with Jared at lunch, instead he went around to the back of the school and sat against the old building just staring at the trees behind the school. It had been months since Evan had felt this lonely, and he wondered if Connor felt the same. Evan found himself writing a lot. Nothing particular, just lines and drabble here and there.

Lines like, "Why go stating the obvious?" and "How could you miss, something that's this plain to see?". Evan smiled at his book, and the neatly scrawled lines in the margin. He thought of Connor, thinking of all the great things about him. And most of all how obvious those things were, Evan couldn't believe there was a time when he was scared of Connor, when he was just that emo kid that threw a printer at a teacher in second grade. Who was just that guy that wore black and smoked weed. Because Connor was so much more than all of that. He was funny, and kind, and sensitive, and passionate, and beautiful, and broken all the same. But it all just seemed so obvious to Evan now, like it was just common knowledge that Connor was all those things. Like it wasn't even worth mentioning. The concept seemed to stick with Evan for some time, as he sat by himself at lunch breaks. He just wished Connor was there beside him. One morning, Evan was sitting in math in front on an empty desk, when his phone started ringing. Well vibrating, Evan always kept his phone on silent. He wondered who would be calling him, his mum never called him during school hours- if she had to she'd contact the school to deliver a message. And Jared never called Evan, so who else could it be? Evan froze.

"Ah Ms can i use the bathroom?" The teacher nodded and handed Evan a hall pass. Evan bolted to the bathroom and took out his phone as quickly as possible. It was Connor. Evan just about burst into tears from relief.

"Connor oh my god are you okay? Did you get my messages or my emails I've been so worried about you!" Silence came from the other line, "Connor? Connor are you there?" Connor finally spoke, his voice weak and pained.

"Evan I'm sorry." He struggled through his words, it sounded like he'd been crying.

"Connor it's okay just-"

"Can you come here?" Connor's voice was almost a whisper, Evan had to strain to hear him. "Please, I-" His voice broke as he sobbed into the phone, "I need you Evan." Evan panicked.

"I'll be right there Connor just stay where you are okay? Just- just don't go anywhere." Evan hung up, grabbed his things and ran outside. He ran all the way to Connor's house, memorising the route from when Zoe drove him there. 15 minutes later he came to the house, he tried the door but it was locked. He called Connor on his phone. He took a minute to pick up.

"Evan?" Evan exhaled a the sound of his voice.

"Hey, Connor I'm here but the door is locked. Is your mum home?" He heard Connor sniffle from the other line.

"No she's gone out today, won't be back until later." Evan nodded slowly.

"Are you able to get the door Connor?" He said calmly. Connor started crying.

"No, i- can't move." Evan nodded again, "Wait- there should be a spare key under the doormat." Evan lifted the doormat up to find a rusty key underneath. He had to force it a couple of times but he got the door open. Evan ran up the stairs.

"Connor, I'm coming where are you?" He heard a voice to the left of the corridor.

"In the bathroom." His voice was weak. Evan bolted for the door but when he swung it open he felt like he was going to be sick. Connor was curled up on the bathroom floor, his right arm covered in blood, while his left hand held a razor blade. Connor just stared up at Evan as tear fell down his face.