6: Evan

Evan sat at his desk, he was working on his English essay for Macbeth. Evan always liked English and was very good at it, it was his best subject. His mum just said he had a way with words, how he was able to express himself through his writing. But Evan didn't really see it as a big deal. He saw a notification pop up in the top left of his screen. He clicked on it already knowing who it was from. He couldn't help but smile to himself.

From: teen.angst@gmail.com

To: Tree.ranger@outlook.com

Subject: *slow clap*

Dear Evan Hansen,

Nice work on seducing my sister Hansen. Yeah i don't sit at the cafeteria, no one really wants to have lunch with the freak, so in answer to your question yes i sit alone. Normally i sit around the back of one of the old buildings, no one ever goes around there. It's about the only time i am free from seeing people in this place.

And no comment to your last one...

Sincerely,

Me

Evan hit reply immediately. It felt so odd to actually be communicating with someone. It almost felt like there was a little pocket universe within these emails that they wrote to each other. A little world that only they knew about, one where they could control what people thought of them and what people said. It was nice, to get a break from reality in this way.

From: Tree.ranger@outlook.com

To: teen.angst@gmail.com

Subject: Sorry

Dear Connor Murphy,

Well i get it if you prefer to sit alone but i was wondering, i dont know, feel free to say no i won't  mind, if you wouldn't mind some company? I mean i dont want to impose and we can just stick to emails that's fine i mean i dont mind sitting with Jared i just sorta sit there and try to ignore the fact that i feel like everyone is staring at me, even though i know they aren't but it still seems like they do okay sorry I'm rambling so yeah don't- don't mind me sorry

Sorry

Sincerely,

Me

He hit send. He instantly regret it. Connor literally just said he sits alone so he can smoke weed and not have to deal with anyone why would he want Evan's company. Another email came through, Evan almost winced as he opened it.

From: teen.angst@gmail.com

To: Tree.ranger@outlook.com

Subject: Calm down 

Dear Evan Hansen,

Dude calm the fuck down. Yes you can sit with me geez. Do you think I'd tell you where i sat if I didn't want you near me?

Sincerely,

Me

Evan read over the email a couple of times. So it turns out Connor Murphy was in fact inviting Evan to sit with him in the first place, which was just- wow. It took five minutes for Evan to get his heart rate back to normal, and he could feel his face heating up. But why? I mean friends sit with each other all the time it's not like they were going on a date or something. So why did Evan feel so anxious and flustered? Was this about what Jared said about getting stabbed?

...

Evan got dropped off at school as normal.

"Alright honey have a good day! I'll pick you up after okay?" Evan nodded as he grabbed his bag.