26: Connor

Connor walked to third period with his boyfriend, yup it was offical now, Evan Hansen. They held hands as they walked down to an empty classroom reserved for spare periods. Connor couldn't describe the feeling, how something so small such as holding hands could feel like such a big deal. Sure that got the dirty looks and the stares and the sniggers but to be honest it's not like they never got that before coming out as a couple anyway. They made it to the classroom alongside Alana and Jared.

"Okay what is everyone working on?" Alana asked, getting her books out.

"The English assignment, I've got my speech I'm just getting Evan to help in case i forget my lines." Alana smiled approvingly.

"I'll be working on that history essay that got given out yesterday once Connor is done." Alana nodded.

"That sounds like a great idea Evan, and Jared?" Jared just smiled as he spun around on his chair.

"I'm going to be working on answering a very important question, I stress very important." Alana prompted him to continue. Jared grinned at her. "What came first, the chicken or the egg?" Alana face palmed.

"For god's sake Jared you got to get your priorities straight, have you even thought about college?" Jared stopped spinning.

"I'm thinking of doing something to do with computers..." Alana shrugged thoughtfully.

"Well that's a start i guess, how come?" Jared smiled.

"Because I'm great at hacking shit." Alana sighed.

"Of course you are."

"Hey Alana," Evan asked, "can i borrow a pen?" Alana smiled and passed Evan a pen as she glared at Jared. Alana Beck was a force to be reckoned with.

Evan read over Connor's lines as he recited them, only making a few minor mistakes. He felt pretty confident, if all went to shit he would just make stuff up.

"Looks really good Connor, when are you presenting?" Connor sat down.

"First period." Evan smiled.

"Are any other people in your class doing performances or just essays?" Connor thought for a minute.

"A couple are doing performances, i know Heather is..." Evan blinked.

"Which one?" Connor tied his hair up.

"All of them." It was going to be an interesting lesson for sure.

"Hey can you volunteer to go second or something?" Connor shrugged, it didn't seem like a problem.

"Sure, how come?" Evan bit his lip, he looked away shyly.

"So i can watch your performance?" Connor smiled.

"I'd be nothing without my right hand man now would i?" Evan smiled as Connor leaned in and gave him a quick kiss. Connor read through Evan's history essay, who then passed it to Alana, who then went to pass it to Jared who just laughed. Once he got the approval, Evan put the essay in his bag, right as the bell went for their break. Connor and Evan stood up to go out to lunch, but neither Alana nor Jared moved.

"You guys coming?" Alana waved them off.

"Oh we'll be out in a minute, just finish up this project first. You go on without us." Evan shrugged and him and Connor made their way to the cafeteria. Connor had just sat down when Evan stood up, with a pen in his hand.

"I forgot to give Alana her pen! I'll be right back." Connor grabbed Evan's arm.

"Hey hold up I'm coming." Evan shook his head.

"You don't have to." Connor sighed and kissed Evan on the head.

"Where you go i go Hansen." Evan beamed. They got to the classroom, but when the opened the door they were confronted with an expected sight. Alana was sitting up on one of the work benches in a liplock with Jared. Connor and Evan stood there wide-eyed in shock. Connor greeted them with a slow clap.

"Well well well if it isn't Kinky Kleinman." The two of them broke apart. Jared just nodded once. Evan awkwardly shuffled to the desk and put them pen down.

"I was, i was just returning your pen." Alana looked embarrassed as she grabbed it and put it in her bag.

"Oh uh, thanks, Evan." Connor just smirked Jared down shaking his head.

"I cannot believe my eyes Jared." Jared just shrugged trying to play it cool, which doesn't really work when your face is as red as a tomato and your shirt is half undone but hey, Connor had to give him points for effort. "So what was that biology project on? The reproductive system?" Evan started laughing but quickly stopped when he saw Alana's face.

"Just please don't tell anyone you guys." Evan looked at Jared who just looked at the ground.

"Why? Why have you been keeping this a secret this whole time?" Jared just shrugged.

"We are just scared what other people would think..." Connor just laughed.

"Really? Why? Who gives a shit what those fuckheads say or do? They don't get to determine who you are, only you do." He looked down at Evan smiling, "Evan taught me that, and you guys should be the same. Why let a bunch of jerk-offs get in the way of what makes you happy?" Alana is the one who spoke next.

"But what's the point, it's senior year Connor none of these relationships are going to last anyway. Before we know it we will be in college and it will be like none of us knew each other." She wipes her eyes from behind her glasses. "It will never work out anyway."

"Well it definitely wont work out if you don't try to make it work. You don't think I'm scared of what will happen to Evan and i when this year ends? Because yeah, it fucking terrifies me. But it is also the greatest thing i have and i will do everything I can to hold onto it. Because that's all you can do. The rest is out of our hands." He shrugged and Jared just nodded.

"I can't believe I'm saying this but holy shit Connor Murphy is right about something." He turned to Alana, "Lanie, please? We can just see how it goes can if it falls apart then we can break it off." She thought for a moment.

"Okay." Jared beamed and he picked Alana up and kissed her. Evan and Connor were clapping and whooping from behind them. Jared strolled out of the classroom.

"Alright couples, straight and incredibly gay, to the cafeteria!" They walked out together, and Connor just smiled as he looked over at Jared who a mouth a small "thank you" to him. Connor just smiled, he knew what that feeling felt like. He grabbed Evan and his arms and held him tightly just to remind himself.