35: Connor

Connor was at Evan's house trying to pick a new bootleg to watch.

"I don't know, what about that one. Newfies?" Evan shook his head and laughed.

"Newsies. It's based on the Disney movie which is based on the Newspaper strike in the 1890s." Connor nodded.

"Alright, that's go with that then." Evan beamed as he clicked on Newsies.

"Yay this is one of my favourites." It started playing. Just as 'Carrying the Banner' finished Connor piped up.

"So basically this is about a group of tap-dancing twinks going on strike?" Evan shook his head.

"They aren't twinks." Connor just laughed.

"That many dudes practically living on top of each other, and you are trying to tell me they are all straight?" Evan just rolled his eyes. They continued watching it, Evan bopping along to 'King of New York', and then the both of them shearing a tear in 'Santa Fe'. Overall Connor was impressed when it ended. Depressed and impressed.

"That last note in Santa Fe, just, just wow." Connor exclaimed. Evan nodded.

"Okay so who is your favourite Newsie then?" Connor just shrugged.

"I dont know they were all cool." Evan sighed.

"I like Crutchie, but Davey come in close second." Connor shrugged his shoulders.

"Ya know if i become an actor, i could totally become a Newsie." Evan just laughed at him.

"What? Can you do all those flips and dances in there?" Connor shrugged again.

"I can tap dance." Evan's eyes widened.

"Excuse me?" Connor smiled.

"I can tap dance, my mum put me in classes as a kid." Evan sat up.

"Show me." Connor shook his head.

"Nah it's been years." Evan put his laptop away and stared Connor down.

"Do it." Connor sighed as he stood up.

"It's carpet here and i dont have have the shoes-" Evan wasn't having a bar of it. Connor started tapping his feet on the floor, not really paying attention to what he was doing. He threw his hands in the air. "Happy now?" Evan just smiled.

"You didn't tell me you could tap dance!" Connor raised his eyebrows and pointed at Evan's chest.

"You didn't tell me you could sing." Evan shuffled his way over to Connor, which didn't take much effort on his small bed.

"Zoe said you could sing." Connor shook his head.

"Yeah when i was like five." Evan shook his head.

"I've heard you sing." Connor just shrugged his shoulders.

"What are you getting at?" Evan's eyes went wild.

"You could go to Broadway." He paused and smiled, "You could actually go to Broadway!" Connor nudged him playfully.

"Haha very funny Hansen." Evan just shook his head.

"But you could though, if you got training or something and started going for auditions... They hire people as young as us." Connor shook his head, it wasn't something worth considering. "I'm serious Connor, you have options." Connor laughed.

"Maybe i could be Jack Kelly, I'm angry enough half the time." Evan just laughed.

"You'd have to kiss whoever played Katherine Plumber." Connor wrinkled up his nose.

"Yeah perhaps not, unless you played Katherine Plumber." Evan burst out laughing.

"Tempting but I'm more of an Elder Cunningham sort of guy myself. I'll just stick to Star Wars and my awkward tendencies." Connor nuzzled Evan's neck.

"I love your awkward tendencies." Evan sighed.

"I can't believe we have school in two days." Connor groaned and rested his head on Evan's shoulder.

"It's fucking shit on a stick." Evan laughed.

"That's a new one." Connor sighed. He didn't want to go back to school. Not just because he was lazy and didn't want to go back to study or having to see people every day, but because of Evan. Them going back to school meant it was one term closer to graduation, to going off to college. Evan kept reassuring Connor that it would be fine, that they could handle the long distance thing and visit each other on weekends but it didn't put Connor at ease. He felt bad for thinking it, but he was just scared that it was too good to be true. Could it work? Could they handle the distance? Could they still stay together after school was over? Evan must have sensed that Connor was overthinking because he turned and wrapped his arms around him, holding him tightly. It always comforted Connor when Evan held him, it almost convinced him that his life wasn't falling apart. "It's going to be okay Connor, i promise." Connor just nodded into Evan's shirt refusing to let him go.

"I love you Evan." Evan just smiled.

"I love you too Connor." Connor sat up, and Evan leant in to kiss him. It was a slow, gentle kiss. Connor held Evan's back as Evan ran his finger's through Connor's hair, massaging his scalp. 

"My sister will be here soon." Evan sighed sarcastically. 

"What a buzzkill." Connor just laughed, but he felt empty inside. Connor and Evan snuggled together until they heard the doorbell right. The both got up, and Connor grabbed his satchel as he walked down the hallway. Evan answered the door.

"Hey Evan can i have my brother back?" Evan sneered. 

"Nope, never, sorry I'm keeping him." Zoe just laughed as Connor came around the corner. 

"See you at school." Connor said, doing his best to muster a smile. He leaned in and gave Evan a quick parting kiss before walking down to Zoe's car. Zoe was pretending to gag, then laughed as she said goodbye to Evan. Connor waved as they left the driveway but couldn't keep the act up any longer. He slouched in the seat, making himself as small as possible, and he felt the smile on his face completely wash away. Zoe looked over quickly, her face full of concern.

"Hey are you okay Connor?" Connor shrugged.

"Not really." He said blankly, staring out the window. Zoe thought for a moment.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Connor just shook his head and sighed.

"Not really." Zoe nodded and kept herself fixated on the road. 

"Okay then, I'm here if you need anything you know that right?" Connor nodded, absent-mindedly.

"Thanks." Neither of them talked for the rest of the drive, and while he felt it was impossible, Connor just hoped Evan was right. That they'd be okay, that they'd make it through together. Because Connor didn't know what he'd do if it all fell apart.