Chapter 6: Bliss

Sarah Geronimo @JustSarahG:
"Magandang araw po sa inyong lahat! Ilang tulog nalang at magkikita kita na po tayo sa Big Dome! :-)"
It didn't seem like she created a new account, because in just a few days she already gained quite a number of followers. She did post about her phone getting stolen and her new twitter account but she didn't expect the progress will be too fast.
She already got a new phone, but only her family and manager knew her number. She thought that she will get her friends' numbers in no time anyway.
She was already groomed for her rehearsals. A duet with Bamboo, which she didn't expect. Her management knew how big a fan she is and they surprised her with this great news.
Before going down, she tried checking her twitter account, so many notifications, but 3 notifs caught her attention.
@rexdeguzman followed you!
Rex de Guzman messaged you!
And lastly,
@Bamboomusiclive followed you!
She viewed her direct mesages.
@rexdeguzman: Hi Sarah! Saw your tweet about your phone. Did you finally get a new one?
@JustSarahG: Hi Rex! Yep I did. Kamusta na?
@rexdeguzman: I'm grand! Anyway, can i get your number? Irereplace ko na baka matawagan ko tong old no. Mo haha.
@JustSarahG: 0917-XXX-XXXX
@rexdeguzman: thanks! Oh, are you busy later? Do you want to have lunch? Let's catch up!
(S: Nako, mukhang may naaamoy ako dito ha...)
@JustSarahG: I have rehearsals for my concert later
@rezdeguzman: where?
(S: masugid ha.)
@JustSarahG: studio 9 bldg C
She locked her phone, grabbed her bag and went down. She headed straight to ABS-CBN. She was wearing a normal shirt and pants. She tied her hair with a ponytail.
She got there on time, and Bamboo was the one who got there late. He was wearing a white shirt(probably the one Sarah gave), jeans and he was wearing sunglasses.
"Hello hello" Bamboo seemed to be in a good mood.
Bamboo civilly greeted everyone including Sarah. They just gave a smile to each other.
"So, ready to know what song you will be singing?" MD asked.
"I personally picked this one Serah." Bamboo looked at her.
She just smiled.
"Iris. But the arrangement will be different okay?" MD reminded them.
"Do you know this song?"
"Oo pero hindi ako ganong ano dito.. Hindi ko pa siya nakakanta."
"It fits you I promise."
"Hindi naman to pang-duet diba?"
"That's what makes it a different taste. I don't know, but I like it."
"Well, ano? Let's try na. Kaya na ba for the both of you?" MD asked.
"Sige po pasadahan natin para ma familiarize ko yung tono."
And they had the very first rehearsal. Sarah was still digesting the whole music, but Bamboo seemed to know it very well. All throughout their rehearsal, he was coaching her.
It was a serious Bamboo-Sarah moment. No one joked or even crack the tension. They both are working hard to perfect this performance, because they were only given one duet on her birthday concert.
"Sarah, this song has alot of feelings. I need you to let it all out, para masabayan mo si Bamboo." MD said.
"Sorry po medyo nangangapa pa po ako dito sa song."
"You don't need to, basta do not be conscious about what will happen, look here, we can do adlibs na eh. Diba? We could take it on a different paths din, can it be MD? Like we can go for another version and another version dito?"
"Oh sure sure good idea. Give it a spice."
"Ah okay po sige.." Sarah said.
"Sige take 20. And after ittry natin iyang areglo." MD and his band went out to take a break.
The two were left inside.
Seconds later, Sarah's phone kept on ringing, she was looking at the screen but she seems hesitant to answer the call.
"Why won't you answer it?"
"Ah eh, ano..."
"Who is it?"
"... Si Rex."
"Oh? Bakit di mo sinasagot?"
"Eh kasi, nagaaya siyang maglunch."
"Bakit di ka pumayag?"
"I know him too well. After lunch, he'll ask if we could stay a little longer for a chat, dinner, tas aamin na gustong makipagdate, tapos gusto agad na maging couple--"
"Pano mo naman nalaman?"
"I know kasi she dated my two bestfriends and 4 kong co-star sa movie. Isn't that a proof?"
"Maybe he wants to have a lunch lang with you. Wag ka kasi assuming. Haha."
"Hindi ah, I can sense him."
"You're 24, don't you think hindi na normal naman makipagdate?"
"Ayoko."
"Why?"
"Hindi pa pwede. And ayoko rin, siyempre career at future ko muna."
"You sound like a mother."
"Basta. Ayoko, tsaka kapag may iddate ako, yung gusto ko no."
"Why?" Bamboo went near her, "Sino ba gusto mo?"
Sarah blushed, inside her head, she was screaming.. 'IKAW! IKAW ANG GUSTO KO!'
"..."
"If you can't tell me, you let us feel it with your music. Dun mo ibuhos. Diba?" Bamboo smiled and pinched her red hot cheeks.
"Ano ba hindi naman ako bata.."
"You look cute tho." He smiled again and pulled himself away. He sat down the grand piano.
He started playing the instrumental part of Celine Dion's To Love You More... Aka Sarah's winning piece.
Sarah was just there, listening to his music and admiring his skills. She traced his features with her eyes, and only feeling the music his hands were creating by tapping the black and white keys.
Inside her head she was asking many questions.
How long?
Why didn't she realize her feelings for him?
Did he have feelings for her too?
Is it too early to say she's inlove?
Or is she too late?
She knew she admires his music and we can't deny his appealing good looks. She had a crush on him even before, but she didn't know when did it get deeper.
Sarah wanted to scream already,
'GUSTO KITA. GUSTUNG GUSTO KITA ALAM MO BA? NARARAMDAMAN YUN?"
But she kept silent and let his music occupy the studio.
After he finished playing, he looked at her once more.
"What? Why are you smiling?"
"Wala.. I just want to feel the music."
Then came the music team. Their rehearsal went well, it was amazing. Even Bamboo was amazed with Sarah G's performance, she really gave her best shot.
She finally let herself out...
The only thing that was left concealed was her feelings for him.
After the rehearsals, the two, again, were left in the room.
"Hindi ka pa uuwi?"
"Uuwi na ko, nagaayos nalang ng gamit."
"Tulungan na kita."
"Hindi na, sige okay lang a--"
Bamboo held her hand, Sarah felt a spark with his touch. This time it was different. It seemed that Bamboo's touch triggered her emotions. Her heart pumped and she was nervous as ever.
"Wag ka makulit tulungan na kita."
He let go of her hand and helped her. Sarah was still quite frozen.
'Bakit iba na nararamdaman ko kapag ganito kami? Kelan lang hindi naman ako ganito kaapektado?'
"Hey! Are you okay?" He asked.
"Ah... Oo!.. Oo .. Okay lang ako."
"Oh, may prod number ka raw pala with Rex?"
"Ahh eh. Oo meron,"
"You two have a thing?"
"Wala nga, close lang siguro kami and sa mata ng public, loveteam ganon."
"Well."
"Bakit?"
"Wala, you two make a good pair." Bamboo teased.
"Tigilan mo nga ko. Sige na mauna na ko, dadaan pa kong town."
"Why?"
"I'm going to pickup some books. Dun lang kasi available yung gusto ko na trilogy, nagkaubusan agad."
"I'm headed that way too, gusto mo sumabay?"
"May driver naman ako."
"Edi tell him to go home, I'm going to drive you there."
"Ha? Ah.. Ok."
It's an hour ride to town.
No one noticed the two, or probably, they did but they just ignored them. Atleast, no hassle when strolling around the mall.
"Lagi ka bang nandito?"
"Medyo, to read books, buy them etc."
"Ahh okay."
They went inside the bookstore.
"I'll just go there in the comics." Bamboo parted ways with Sarah.
She was scanning different novels, when she heard whispers from her back, seems that there are still a number of people who wants to take pictures with her.
"Si Sarah ba yun? Ang pretty!!!"
"Ui si Sarah nandito!"
"Tara papicture tayo?"
"Si ate Sarah oh..."
And so on, some pursued on having a picture with her which she didn't mind. She went to the cashier and bought the books. After, she looked for Bamboo who seemed to be missing.
She went at the bookstore lounge and saw him sitting in the couch, reading.
"Ano, bilhin mo muna iyan.." Sarah teased.
"I already did. Busy ka kanina magpapicture." He was still looking on his book.
"What's that?"
"Eat. Pray. Love."
"Is it good?"
"I'm still a few pages from the start palang.. I'll let you read it when I'm done, I won't spoil you." Bamboo kept reading.
After awhile, Bamboo noticed she was carrying alot of books which were heavy. He stood up, put his book inside his bag and offered her help.
"Ako na magdadala niyan, ang dami mo namang binili."
"Eh kasi para rin kay ate Shine iyan at sa pamangkin ko."
"Oh okay, where do you want to eat?"
"Ha? di pa ba tayo uuwi?"
"Uhm.. I'm already hungry. Where do you want?"
"Kahit san." She said.
They walked further, people can see them but no one really gave attention. Why? They assumed they're just close because of what happened in Tacloban. Also, Sarah was still rumored that she's dating Rex. Bamboo, on the other hand, said that she's a good friend of Sarah.
They may walk side by side but they still have this distinct distance in between. Where was the thought that they got closer?
Upon entering a restaurant, they bumped in into the broadway diva, Ms Lea Salonga. Who seems to having a date with his husband.
"Oh! Ms Lea! Hi po!" Sarah greeted them.
"Sarah Geronimo? Oh Hi! Bamboo! Hi!" Lea greeted back.
"We meet again, huh." Bamboo said.
"I know. Why don't you join us?" Lea offered.
They sat down with the two, and all throughout their dinner, Sarah was quiet. She only talked when she was asked by Lea or by Lea's husband.
Lea and Bamboo are quite close, she noticed. She cannot butt in in the conversation because she cannot relate with their topics that doesn't interest her.
Sarah was still thinking to herself, is she really friends with this guy?
Bakit parang ang dami parin niyang hindi alam sa kanya?
Oo nga, magkaibigan sila, pero bakit parang iwas parin siya na makilala ni Sarah?
May mali ba kay Sarah? Hindi ba siya mapagkatiwalaan?
....
...
..
.
After their dinner, they all went outside together and took a group picture. Lea likes keeping trinkets such as souvenir photos. She will be leaving the country tomorrow for another concert tour.
@msleasalonga uploaded a photo in instagram:
(The photo: Her husband, Lea, Sarah and Bamboo were standing infront of the restaurant. Sarah and Bamboo with noticeable distance in between.)
"Great night with great people. Hope to work with the both of you someday! #ashboo #yesimafan #whynot"
Inside the car, Sarah was still quiet. It wasn't the normal her, he knew. She was so talkative and she was always energetic. Not for long, he noticed it.
"Hey," Bamboo said while driving, he glanced at her in a split second and focused his eyes on the road again.
"Hi," She replied.
"Ang tahimik mo ngayon ha."
"Hindi.. Pagod lang siguro ako.."
"I don't believe you."
"Bakit?"
"I just don't. C'mon, hindi ka ba nabusog?"
"Okay lang talaga ako."
"Tell me, ano nga? Why are you like that?"
"..."
"Serah-"
"Do you really treat me as a friend?"
"Ha?"
"Bakit ganon? Parang nagopen up ako sayo nang halos lahat pero parang ikaw, hinaharangan mo sarili mo na makilala ka ng isang tao?"
"What are you saying?"
"Stop being mysterious! Ang unfair mo! Gusto mo laging hindi alam ng mga tao ang buhay mo! Ako nga nasasabi ko naman sayo--"
"Why are you acting like a child all of a sudden? Sarah, look. You're too young to understand siguro pero you cannot tell people to do the same thing na gusto mong gawin nila sayo. That's not how life goes. You cannot command me to say something you like! I know what I need to say and what I don't, we're friends.. And closer than that. Shouldn't you be thankful that somehow--"
"Wag ka nga magenglish! Nasa Pilipinas ka!"
"Bakit ba ano bang problema mo? You shifted your mood all of the sudden?!"
"Alam mo yung close pero wala namang worth?!"
"What? What? Ano bang sinasabi mo? Ang moody mo naman ngayon!"
"Itanong mo sa sarili mo! Bahala ka."
"Seriously Sarah? Are you on your period? Bakit ka ganyan?"
"WALA! Wag nalang. Wag na. Kalimutan mo nang may sinabi ako."
Bamboo didn't dare to reply. They both became quiet but you can still sense the tension between the two. Bamboo's eyes were focused on the road, but it's obvious that he's mad. Sarah, was looking outside the car window, her face uncertain.
This was the longest 1 hour ride of their lives.
They were already near her village,
"Stop the car." Sarah commanded.
"Wait what?" Bamboo was confused.
"Stop the car! Bababa na ako okay na ko dito." Sarah repeated.
"Dang it Serah, are you crazy?"
"Bababa na nga ako maglalakad nalang ako! Kaya ko naman eh! Bubuksan ko na to!"
Then Bamboo pulled over, Sarah immediately opened the car and went down. Bamboo followed.
"Wag mo na ko sundan kaya ko naman eh!"
"Serah, wait!"
He grabbed her hand and they are now facing each other.
"Bakit?!" Sarah was still mad.
"Okay.." Bamboo took a deep breath, "i'm sorry for what I said earlier. Nagulat lang ako kasi bigla kang nagalit. Out of nowhere you asked these questions. I'm sorry..."
"..." Sarah was looking at him.
"Say something? I'm sorry talaga if nataasan kita ng boses. I didn't mean that.. But about sharing things, I'm just not comfortable to be the topic, I'm more of a listener, so that's it."
She too a deep breath.
"Sorry. Sorry kung medyo naging OA ako ngayong gabi. Pagod lang siguro ako tsaka.. Nagooverthink lang ng bagay."
"What are you thinking?"
"Wala.. Nape-pressure nalang siguro ako dahil malapit na yung concert..." Sarah covered her face with her hands, "hay. sorry. Sorry sa nagawa ko ngayong gabi. Sorry talaga. Ikaw na nga nagdrive sakin pauwi eh..."
"It's okay. Let's go back? Please?"
"Oo sorry, para tuloy tayong nasa teleserye."
"It's okay... I understand you." He said.
"Tsaka kung nagkataong lumabas ako at dumiretso... Babalik din ako."
"Bakit?"
"Nasa likod mga libro ko oh.. Edi ang comedy naman non."
Both laughed. Maybe the relationship they found with each other wasn't something romantic, but something only the two of them can understand. They have this certain connection to each other that made their bond unique. Yes, they might not be that close but they only act like that when they are together.
"Please don't do that again, kinabahan talaga ako..." Bamboo said as they went inside the car.
"Ang totoo nagppractice lang talaga ako. Naiinternalize lang ako para sa susunod kong film. Joke."
"Well you got me in that."
"Sorry, and thank you natiis mo pagiging immature ko. Pwede mo naman akong itulak palabas na ng kotse mo, pero di mo ginawa. So thank you." She smiled.
"I wouldn't do that.." Bamboo looked at her,
"..just yet." He joked.
"Ikaw talaga! Sige asarin mo ko ulit." Sarah tapped him.
Somehow, both were satisfied with the cat-and-mouse relationship. Weren't they?
They stopped in front of her house, both went down. Bamboo took out her books.
"Thank you ulit." Sarah smiled.
"Nandiyan ba parents mo? I want to greet them din."
"Ay wala, nagbakasyon sila. Si ate lang nandiyan and yung anak niya si Zac."
"Oh okay, I'm going to put this inside, tulungan na kita mabigat to eh."
"Ah, okay sige.. Oh pasok ka."
She opened the gates, and opened the door, she didn't want to wake up their househelps assuming they were also tired.
When she opened the door, she was surprised to see Zac and Shine in the living room.
"Oh ate, gising pa kayo?" Sarah asked.
"Hi titaaaa!!!" Zac cheerfully greeted her while dancing infront of the tv. He's enjoying this children's tv show.
"Oh andiyan ka na pala. Eh si Zac umiiyak ayaw matulog. Gusto pa kasing manood eh kaya nagstay muna kami dito." Then, Shine noticed Bamboo's presence.
"Ay! Sir Bamboo! Nandito po pala kayo, Gandang gabi po." Shine was surprised to see her with him. She immediately fixed Zac's toys and let them sit on the couch.
"Ay teka, gusto niyo bang magkape? Ako na--"
"Ate ako na. Maupo kayo diyan. Ikaw, wag ka na tumanggi, kasi mahaba pa biyahe mo. Teka lang." Sarah went inside the kitchen.
"Hi, Goodevening. You must be her sister?" Bamboo asked.
"Yes, older. If you want to ask. Haha. And that's my son Zac." Shine pointed her son who was now busy playing.
"You two(Sarah) look like you were of the same age." Bamboo smiled at her.
"Ikaw naman po nako wag na kayo mambola."
"Haha, seriously. It's true."
"I'm 36 na noh." Shine said.
"Oh, same age." Bamboo smiled.
"Ha? Seryoso? 36 ka na?! Impossible!!! You look like your 27!!!!!!"
"Haha! Thanks. But not true." Bamboo smiled at her, and shifted his eyes to Zac who was walking infront of him. He seems to be sociable.
"Hello. I'm Zac. Wait... I saw you in TV before with tita Sars!" He smiled innocently, and offered Bamboo to play with his stuffed animals.
"Oh yes, yes, I sang with your tita. Hehe, you like toys?" Bamboo smiled at him, and he seems to be enjoying playing with Zac.
"Mukhang sanay ka sa makukulit na bata ha. Haha."
"I love kids, they are so sweet and you know, talagang mapapangiti ka lang. They're special."
"Parang si Sars. Isip bata nga lang hahaha."
"Yes, including Sarah. Haha!"
Both laughed ang agreed that Sarah was childish.
"But I spend time alot with my daughter. That's why it's not hard for me eh." He smiled at her.
"May anak ka? I mean you're married?" Shine was surprised.
"Haha, yes I am. Hey.. Zac right? I have a daughter named Jeanne, you two should play sometime okay?" Bamboo pat his head.
"Look at this! It's Mr Panda!!! I saw this inside tita's bag!" Zac showed him Sarah's stuffed toy.
"Oh! Mr Panda! I have his partner! Haha. My daughter has Mrs. Panda. She likes playing her too, you two should really meet sometime."
(Ui, may bagong ashboo generation na mabubuo 😜)
"You know what.. My tita.. She likes to hug Mr Panda.. I always see her sa taas eh lalo na pag magwawatch siya ng movie.." Zac, as innocent as he is shared all the things Sarah was doing.
"Oh really? She likes Mr Panda very much?" Bamboo curiously asked.
"Opo, she said ibibigay niya sakin to pero minsan kinukuha din niya para daw tabi niya matulog..."
"Haha, that's cute tho.. I'll ask them to give one for you sometime. Haha."
"You will? Yehey thank youuu! Pero I like Mr Panda better.. "
"Then ask tita Sarah to give it to you nalang."
"I hope so... Minsan nga hinahagis niya to... Minsan din iniiwan lang niya sa floor tapos pinapagalitan niya."
"Oh, haha. Really???" Bamboo was more curious than ever.
"Lagi niyang sinasabi pag galit siya 'I hate you mr sungit! Mr bipolar!' Basta things I dont understand.. I thought tita's crazy but mom said normal lang na ganon si tita.."
His innocence made Bamboo and Shine laughed. Bamboo didn't realize how close she is with her family. Minutes later Sarah came back with Coffee and some snacks.
"Hi, sorry natagalan, ako mismo nagbrew niyan." She bragged.
"Oh wow, thank you Serah." Bamboo smiled at her, she blushed.
She was on a sofa beside bamboo's couch, Shine was infront of them, Zac was still playing and he sat down on Bamboo's lap.
"Nameet namin kanina si Ms Lea,--" Sarah shared things to her sister.
The sisters were having a fun conversation while Bamboo and Zac were playing games in his ipad. Both seemed to be getting along pretty well.
It was already 10:40pm, when they checked the clock. Sarah and Shine talked about almost everything and forgot about Bamboo and Zac. Just then they realized that Zac was already sleeping in Bamboo's chest. Zac was 6, but he's still small.
"Ay ate! Nakatulog na si Zac!" Sarah was surprised to see the two.
"Nako sir Bamboo pasensya na po, inantok na pala dapat inakyat ko na kanina pa."
"No, no, it's okay. And call me Bamboo nalang." Bamboo was gently holding Zac as careful as he is.
"Amin na Bamboo, pasensya na talaga, sorry.." Shine aplogized.
"No, no. It's okay. Pero baka magising.. I'll carry him in his bedroom nalang." Zac was still clinging on Bamboo like a sloth.
"Okay lang? Nako salamat ng marami! Ayusin ko na tong gamit niya, Sars, turo mo yung bedroom ni Zac."
Sarah stood up and Bamboo followed. Her house has only 2 floors but it was quite wide than a normal one. They went up and he was welcomed by a big family picture as an accent piece in the wall.
It was taken when Sarah was 6 or 7.
"Oh wow, vintage." Bamboo smiled. From his standpoint, he can already see console tables, walls, side tables full of picture frames... They must be pretty tight during her childhood. Stolen shots, family reunions, they seemed to be so happy.
"Ayaw patanggal nila mommy iyan.. Marami na raw kasing memories yung picture na iyan. Nung nasa apartment kami, nung umupa kami hanggang sa magka-bahay kami oh, nandiyan parin." Sarah narrated as she opened Zac's bedroom.
Bamboo entered and saw Zac's bedroom. It was filled with animal stuffed toys and different kind of airplanes(toys, posters, etc)
"Oh, he likes planes?"
"Dream niyang maging pilot.."
"I see, wow at a very young age may idea na siya ha," he tried lying him down in the bed.
"Maybe? I don't know.. Baka dahil sa father niya. He was the co pilot of Capt Ortega. Pero wala na siya dito."
"Where's his father by the way?"
"He left her."
"..."
"..."
"Oh.. I'm so sorry..."
"He was 2. They already moved in sa bahay nila.. Pero in the end, hindi nagwork. Nagmadali si ate eh, ayan tuloy. Nung magkaanak sila hindi parin sila kasal, tapos nalaman ni ate na may family pala siya sa province niya. Ayun, hindi na nagpakita sa kanila."
"What a coward."
"But he became a good father for two years, wala namang magagawa si Ate... Ayaw naman niyang masira ang pamilya niya kaya siya nalang ang nag give way.. Pero kahit na ganon, hindi parin niya pinagbabawalan siya na bisitahin si Zac. All of these? Yung husband naman niya nagsusupport eh."
"So explains all these planes.. And these toys."
"But that's something Zac doesn't need. Luxury? I can provide him that. Pero yung pagmamahal ng isang ama ang hindi niya nakuha.. Akala ng asawa ni ate, pera pera lang."
"Bakit di nalang niya bisitahin si Zac every now and then?"
"Like what you said, there are things we cannot get in life. Alam mo.. Kaya ganiyan nalang kami mag-alaga kay Zac.. Super precious niya samin.. Kasi gusto namin na kahit wala siyang ama mapunan namin yung pagkukulang na yun."
"I think he's happy naman with your family. Don't worry, I can see it in his eyes." Bamboo assured.
"I hope so... I want him to have a happy childhood." Sarah smiled while looking at sleeping Zac.
"So that explains..."
"Explain what?"
"Bakit ayaw mo magka-relationship? I mean because of this, you prioritize your future and theirs first."
"Most likely."
"But you can balance both naman eh. Ikaw pa."
"Well..."
"You need to grow, relationship is part of life. May mahal ka? Sabihin mo, but learn to reserve something for yourself."
"Basta, it'll come naman." She smiled.
They stared at each other.
"Serah, I'll go ahead, samahan mo na si Zac dito.."
"Okay, sige. Goodnight, and thank you."
Bamboo walked towards her...
Held her arms..
And kissed her cheeks.
She was shocked on what he did.
"Goodnight." Bamboo opened the door and left, few seconds after Shine went up.
"Sars, ba't nandito ka pa?" Shine asked the frozen Sarah.
"Ate..."
"... In love na yata talaga ako."