Schooldays are back

My phone woke me up and I sighed. I was just about to sit on the side of the bed, when Damon grabbed my arm.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"It's Monday, I have classes." I said gave him a glare that said 'are you stupid?' "And besides, I didn't eat any of the people we met yesterday." I grinned smug.

"You can't just go back to school, you might accidentally kill somebody just by padding them on the back, sweetie."

I gulped. "I couldn't; could I?"

He chuckled as I looked at him with wide eyes. "You must know your strength first."

He suggested that we head out in the woods for me to try out my improved abilities.

We stopped in a small clearing, where he made a gesture with his hand and bid me to choose a tree that I thought I would be able to snap. I just looked at him with my eyebrows way up high; there wasn't a tree in this entire forest that I believed I would be able to break.

"Then point at one you think I can snap!" he said with an eye-roll.

How would I know; I thought, but looked around. He was pretty strong... Finally I saw a spruce, no it was more like a semi-big tree and I pointed at it. He walked over there and pulled the whole damn tree right out of the ground and balanced it in one hand.

"Really; that's all you think of me?" He just walked toward me and my eyes got huge when I realised he was about to hand it over to me. I almost closed my eyes and thought I was about to be squished like a bug under it when he dropped it. It turned out it wasn't hard to carry at all, and I had to open my eyes and see how big it actually was.

Damn I was strong!

He laughed at my expression and I looked surprised at him.

I wanted to yell; look what I can do! But I'm sure it showed on my face.

"Now; break it!"

My eyebrows flew up and I just shook my head. How would I be able to break this huge log? It was absurd!

"You can do it baby, just close your eyes." He exhorted me.

I thought that it was absolutely ridiculous and smiled as I closed my eyes and took it over my knee as if it was a small twig. A thunderous sound made my eyes fly open and I stood there with two big pieces of wood. My mouth fell open.

"This feels like some freaking cartoon." I mumbled and pondered if I needed to pinch myself, because this had to be a dream.

He walked really close and said quietly. "Now let's try out the hearing and that sweet nose of yours." He tapped my nose. "Close your eyes and tell me what you hear and what you smell."

I did as he told me, and I could hear him walking around to stand behind me and I smiled. When I focused my hearing it was as if I could zoom in on the sounds and I could hear everything so close. I knew exactly where the bird chirped and where the rustling of leafs in the tree; just as if it was a film and the cameraman just zoomed in and enhanced the sound. It was amazing and I felt my mouth fall open.

I felt Damon's breath on my neck and shivered. "What about the nose; you once told me and Stefan you we're a 'smeller', remember?" I heard the humour in his voice and I remembered exactly what he meant and I felt slightly embarrassed over my stupid comment when I had just moved in with the brothers.

"Stop blushing and use your olfaction." He lectured me soft.

I rolled my eyes under my closed lids and then I drew in a slow breath through my nose. The first that hit me was the musty smell of forest and autumn. Then I could identify mouldering leafs, pine trees and moss. My face showed how amazed I really was and then I realized that beyond those smells, there were others, that I couldn't even identify; perhaps some bird and then there was a feeling of wet dog far, far away.