Healing blood

We heard footsteps and people walking our way, out in the hallway. Damon was instantly on his feet and pulled me up.

I hadn't noticed him tying up my wrist in my dazed state of mind, but now I saw a cloth around my bleeding wrist. "Ouch," I winced when I tried to put pressure on my hurt ankle.

He swooped me up in his arms and we headed out.

"No wait; I got to have that document." I pointed at the piece of paper on the floor and he managed to bend down while holding me. In a few minutes we were out the door after having locked the storage unit. He grabbed us a cab as soon as we got outside and we were quickly at our hotel, where he carried me upstairs. Soon I was on my back on the bed, watching him getting a blood-bag out and gulping it down before he called room-service for some bandages.

I fell in and out of sleep while he bandaged my wrist, talking on the phone and while he took a shower and changed clothes. When I woke up, a doctor was examining me.

"We were attacked," I heard Damon explain. "I think she needs blood."

The doctor eyed Damon with something between suspicion and caution. "Doctor Fell explained the circumstances," he revealed slowly and his constant glances towards Damon was a give-away.

"That I'm a vampire?"

"Yes."

Damon was quiet for a while, just watching the doctor examining me; checking my pulse and listening to my heart. "She was saving me." His voice was sad and he said it quietly. "I think she's anaemic, her pulse is weaker than usual."

We looked both a bit puzzled at him.

The doctor took my hand and I looked up at the two men by my bed. "I'll examine this first, do you need to leave?" He was eyeing Damon in a hard way.

"No; I did that, I need to see it," he said filled with guilt.

"I made you do it," I objected weak.

He stroked my cheek. "I know sweetie, but you can't be held responsible for that." His tone was caring but guilty.

The doctor eyed us suspicious. "You really care about her." He sounded like that was too hard to believe.

Damon watched me. "Yes I do. The right thing to do would be to get the hell out and let her live her life, but I just can't." Our eyes locked and the feelings between us made me both want to smile and cry; I didn't know in which order.

My wrist got unwrapped and the doctor commented on Damon's handy work. "The bleeding has stopped."

"Yes, I put pressure on it right from the start."

The Doctor was once again watching us intently. All of a sudden he started to chuckle. "I have treated vampire bites before, but never had the vampire responsible standing next to me, looking like you do."

Damon looked puzzled.

"The guilt is eating you."

I smiled weak. "You better watch yourself, or you will turn into your brother," I teased him and got a glare back.

"Don't tell him that!"

Once again Doctor Martin interrupted our connection. "You have a sprained ankle, probably a cracked rib and your... friend is right; you need some blood to feel better," he summarized. "If you could get to my clinic tomorrow, I can easily help you." He smiled, then he seemed to realise something. "Can you go there during the day," he asked Damon who smiled.

"Yes, that won't be a problem." He smiled before he got serious again. "Thank you for coming and checking on her, I didn't want to give her my blood to heal her without a thorough examination first."