Getting to know people

I hung in there with the school, actually getting to know a little more people in this town. There were two girls with messy emo-hair, wearing black with plaid skirts and we started to nod at each other, I noticed one of them in my math class, so we even said a few words to each other once in a while.

There was the cheerleading squad that suddenly started to say hi to me, just because I had been sitting next to Caroline at lunch. At first I just stared at them, thinking it was a prank and they were going to do something mean to me, but they kept on saying ‘Hi’ so I did the same. When the cheerleaders had acknowledged me, there were the jocks... I got tired just being in the same room as them; did all jocks have to be loud and hyper?

There were a few really good looking though...

Among the jocks, there were especially this Tyler guy that caught my attention; he was all buffed up and had a confidence out of this world. Elena had told me that he was Caroline’s ex and I thought that maybe I should keep my distance. It turned out eventually that I wasn’t the one that needed to keep my distance to him, but the other way around.

Elena, Caroline and Bonnie sat with me in the cafeteria one day. Bonnie was a really sweet girl as well, but they had some issues and I sensed it had to do with the Salvatore’s but they were careful not to say anything in my presence. Bonnie and Caroline left the table and that was the moment Tyler moved over to our table.

“Hi guys, what’s up?”

I looked a little questionably at Elena. “Guys? We’re girls...right?” I sassed a little quiet which made her almost crack a smile.

Yeah I know I’m provocative, I can’t help it.

Tyler just glared at me. “And you might be?”

I couldn’t help myself. “Be what?” I pretended not to understand.

It must have been the lights, but his brown eyes started to flicker almost yellow and he drew a deep breath and then smiled an absolutely charming smile. “Hi, welcome to Mystic Falls High School; I’m Tyler.” He said in the most charming way with a crocked eyebrow and a row of gleaming white teeth that made me think of toothpaste commercials.

“Hi Tyler, this is Emilia; she has just moved here from New York.” Elena introduced me. I had to try hard not to roll my eyes at his curiosity.

Wasn’t that what killed the cat? Oh well, he looked a little more like a dog person anyway.

“This must be quite a difference.” He did his best to be charming and he actually did a really good job; he actually reminded me of that cocky ex boyfriend of mine, the jerk before Jason I fell so hard for. It seemed that he was honest and what you saw was what you got. “So, where are you staying here?”

“At the Salvatore’s.” I answered which made his eyes flicker to Elena with a silent question. It was the same expression Alaric had given Stefan... This time I knew it wasn’t just my paranoia.

“Yes, Stefan is like the big brother I never had.” I interrupted their silent dialogue, which made Tyler flash another charming smile at me.

“And Damon...” 

“Yeah, Damon is just cocky as usual.” I cut in which made a real smile appear on his face. I was not in a mood to discuss Damon here at school; that was a way to complex topic. After that lunch he seemed to meet and greet me in every hallway and he offered me a ride home after school for a couple of days.

Amy and Sandra, the two punk-or-emo-style girls at school had made plans to meet me at the Grill one of the nights. They were actually really funny in my epic-sarcastic favourite kind of way. Nobody knew though, because they mostly kept to themselves.