Ressurrection

A black car rolled into our driveway and as Caroline and I sat there on the porch swing, Bonnie walked out the front door of the house with Elena and Stefan. The car-door opened and Elijah and the Tyler-looking brother of his stepped out.

Caroline sat upright in an instant as she and Tyleraus looked at each other.

They greeted each other and Elijah's eyes flickered to me. "Hello Emilia."

"Hi Elijah, are you okay?" I asked and he nodded. I wanted to ask how his brother was doing, but this was neither the time nor the place.

"We're heading to Richmond to get Klaus back in his right appearance." Bonnie announced.

"We have to see how bad shape the body is in first, so..." Stefan explained. "It didn't go up in flames totally, like when Klaus killed Michael."

"Hopefully we can fix this." Bonnie didn't sound sure though.

"Do want to borrow Esters bracelet? You said it was quite powerful." I offered.

"No Emilia; that should not leave your arm! Mother has used Bonnie for her own purposes before; you need to anchor her." Klaus objected and it sounded like he wasn't just looking out for himself, but for her as well.

I was in awe and looked at him puzzled.

"I can channel you from there if I need to." Bonnie said. "If I could borrow something personal it would be even easier."

"Sure." I took off the necklace Damon gave me, got up and walked over to Bonnie and handed it to her. In the corner of my eye, I noticed Klaus' eyes on Caroline and how he looked like he wanted to apologise yet again. I turned to him and put my ring-clad hand on his chest; his eyes turned to me and got wide.

"You need to focus on the good and stop being a bitter old man." There was courage and sincerity in my words that I didn't think I could have around him. Lately he had only brought out the bad in me, but I wanted him to earn Caroline's respect.

He didn't answer me, but I saw in his eyes; the message was received loud and clear.

"Good luck." I said to all of them and walked up to the porch again.

Elijah got in the driverseat of the car and Elena, Bonnie and Stefan got in the backseat. Klaus broke off the eye hold he had on Caroline and was about to get in when Caroline stopped him.

"Klaus!" she called.

He stopped, looked inside the door at his brother and then closed it and walked up to Caroline.

She had tears in her eyes as she started to speak. "Why did you do it?" her voice was frail and emotional.

He sighed. "It wasn't to trick you." he assured slowly. "I hate to say it, but I know you cared a lot about him, and I didn't want you heartbroken from his death. I know it was wrong, and one day perhaps you can trust me. I don't expect you to ever forgive me, but forever is a long time, Caroline." His voice was so caring and tender it nearly broke my heart, even though I had stepped aside to give them a bit of privacy.

"Thank you for your honesty." she said to his surprise.

"You're welcome." he said with a tired smile. "Hopefully I won't remind you of your grief next time we meet." he said and walked away from her.

* * * * *

The next day, Elena and Stefan got back; a black car once again pulled up on our driveway and dropped them off. I was watching through the window, unable to see inside the dark tinted windows of the car. Nobody but Stefan and Elena stepped out and I wondered if it had gone wrong.