Chapter 12

Recap: "We're mates,  well, you can say something like soul mates.  It's a bond between us.  It's why you feel that way around me." I narrowed my eyes at that, how the hell did he know what I felt around him, "I can see it in your eyes.  Because I have the same pulls, except for me, it's way stronger.  Almost impossible to bare, but it's amazing.  It's like we're designed for each other.  And-" I shook my head, I was expecting the unexpected to be way different.

So everything I was feeling was just there because of a bond.  So what? I had no choice in this.

"I-I gotta go.  I can't stay here."  I stammered out of his room.  As I left him behind, I felt a hole crave itself into my heart. 

Chapter 12

"Scarlett, wait."  Every fiber of my being was screaming at me to go back and say it wasn't a big deal.  But that's the thing, it was a VERY big deal.  How does anyone react to this?

I didn't say anything but I also couldn't get myself to move, I just stood there.  Frozen.  The only thing I could feel at the moment was his body heat coming from behind.  I was once again torn in two.  My rational side telling me to run, to get as far away from him as possible; but the other part, the one that was driving me crazy and making me doubt everything but him, was pulling me towards him.  It was a magnetic force that I couldn't explain.

"Please sweetheart, just talk to me."  I still didn't say anything and I was begging my feet to move, and I was afraid they'd move in the wrong direction.  After eternal minutes of what felt like torment, he sighed breaking the still silence between us.  "Okay, if it's time and space you need, I'll give it. But please, don't, don't leave or take too long."

Those words broke my heart to hear, and it also gave me the push I needed to walk away.  I remembered that I was still in his clothes, so I went to his laundry room instead of the front door.  I changed there and put his clothes in the washer before I left.  I caught glimpse of his mom, Anna, on my way out, I saw her mouth move but I couldn't hear a single word coming out of it.

I hope the walk home won't be long.  I don't even know how much time it would take.  Oh well, guess I'll find out right now, huh?

I was walking out of the the driveway when I saw it.  His car, it was parked next to the curb in front of his house.  He was learning against the side of the car, waiting.  For me.  I was surprised.  I didn't want to be in the same car with him, but I certainly didn't want to walk that long, in the snow, with a skirt.

"You didn't think I'd let you walk, did you?"

I didn't answer, I just got in the car in silence.  He got in as well and his face was set in a hard expression.  All emotion was void in his face.  He drove in silence, I looked at the digital clock, it read 1:07.  Wow, time slipped by quick.  I subconsciously found myself leaning towards him, and suddenly jerked my body towards the window instead.  His head jolted to me, his mouth was open as if he was going to say something, or ask something.  His eyes full of concern and his eyebrows were shot up.  But when he saw how much distance I put between us, and how I was hugging myself protectively, all words died out, and his face turned into that hard expression again.  I saw a glimpse of both anger and hurt before that hard expression, it was only for a second, but I saw it.  I wasn't hugging myself to protect me from him, I was hugging myself so I would ensure that I stayed in place.  I knew 110% that he wouldn't hurt me.

The drive felt like ages, I was staring out the window to keep myself busy, but I couldn't help but look at his reflection in it.  I still hadn't fully grasped what he told me.  I just, I don't know.  I just don't understand how it could ever be true, I guess.  I read books about mythical creature, but I never imagined riding in a car with one.  Twilight made it seem like it wouldn't be a big deal to run into a werewolf, but how does one truly react?  It was nowhere near my realm of experience.  It was nowhere near anyone's realm of experience I guess.