Chapter 15

It's a bird; it's a plane; it's actually an upload.  Again guys, I'm soo sorry.  All of my beautiful readers that left comments, I've been meaning to reply, but I swear I've got the memory of a 90 year old.  Anyways I'm soo happy I decided to finish this chapter.  I had my interview with..... wait for it... drum roll....COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY!!!! It went amazingly well and I'm dying to get excepted!!!  But enough with my rabbling, here's the chapter.

Recap: "They're not taking care of the problem properly. We have to fix it.  That's what happens when you put a teenager in charge."  My dad's angry voice rang through the front door. 

"Steven, this happens all the time.  Why are you worked up about it?"

"Because this time, it's closer to us than any other time."

"What's closer dad?"

Chapter15

"Nothing Scarlett.  Just something to do with business."

"Like what?"

"Scarlett I said it's nothing.  You know I don't like you getting involved with work."

I stared at him, "I was just trying to see what was upsetting you.  You don't have to talk to me that way." I walked out of the living room.  Maybe I should've gone to work after all.  

I tripped on my way up to my room.  Can I get anymore clumsy? I grabbed a jumper, it was freezing out, and pulled it over my  plaid shirt. 

My hand landed on my neck, the bite was faintly there.  I couldn't even notice it in the mirror.  I felt somehow different, yet the same.  It was hard to describe; I had no idea what I was thinking, or feeling.

I went over to the desk in the corner of the room.  My eyes landed on the sketch book at the bottom of the shelf.  

Wow.  There's actual dust on it.  I blow the dust off, sliding my hand over it.  The texture felt so familiar, yet forgotten.  Looking over some of the old sketches, I realized they consisted of happy and simple drawings.  Ha.  It's funny how that's not the case anymore, at least not the simple part.

I made my way out of the room, almost to the front door.

"Scarlett, wait."  No! God, just two steps away. Really? 

"Yeah?"  My voice was harsh, even to my own ears.

"You were right, you should know what's going on."  Okay, now he had my full attention.

"Steven!"

My dad cut her a dry look, "How is she supposed to protect herself if she doesn't know?" Mom stomped out of the hall and up the stairs.  Man, she was mad! I don't think I've ever seen my dad do anything she didn't agree on before.  I looked over at him; his face was unreadable, and the curiosity was killing me. 

"What is it, dad?"

He was silent for a few seconds, then he sighed, "Look, you just need to take care of yourself, especially here.  Everything that people believe might be a lie."

"Wha-"  He walked away before I could get the word out.  What the heck was that about?  I hadn't realized how still I was standing behind the door until someone knocked.  My jaw dropped when I opened it.  "Uncle Liam?"

"There's my favorite niece."  He grabbed in a big hug, I returned it just as big.  "Look how old you got.  You're just as beautiful as your mother."

I grinned at him, "What are doing here?  I know it's not just to give me compliments."

He grinned in return, "Just like you're dad, cutting straight to the point and always thinking everyone's got an ulterior motive."  My grinned dropped slightly at the comment, if only he knew how rough it's been between me and my dad. "I just missed all of you and thought I'd come by."