Proving Him Wrong - 1.

It's been a month since I graduated from High School. Today my best friend is leaving for University. She got a job close to the University and they asked her if she could starts right away and she agreed.

I climb out of bed and enter the bathroom. I run a brush through my hair before I walk to the kitchen.

My three year old twin siblings Hayden and Darcy are sitting in the lounge room playing with dolls.

Hayden drops her doll on the ground when she sees me. She runs over to me and I lift her up. I spin around a couple of times and she laughs.

Darcy puts her hands on her hips. "No, far, I want to spin too."

I kneel down to her height. "Darcy, give me a couple minutes. I feel a bit dizzy from spinning Hayden around."

I sit next to the twins.

Darcy gives me a doll. "Can you pway with us?"

I take the doll from her. I see a stack of books sitting on the small library shelf. I look at the twins. "Do you want me to make you a doll house?"

Hayden nods. "Yes,"

I crawl over to the library shelf and pull off the books. I open the books to a page and leave it open.

The twins looks at me. "Where's the window and doors?"

"There's no windows and dolls in the doll house. How about when I go job hunting I look for supplies that we can make on with. The doll house will be made out of paper."

Darcy smiles. "Yay." She hugs me.

Mom enters the room and she has black circles under her eyes. Her hair is sticking all over the place.

"Morning, Mom. I'm going to look for a job today."

Mom shakes her head. "I need you to look after the twins until your father gets home."

I rise. "Clara said she doesn't mind looking after them. All I have to do in return is cook for her. She doesn't like having dinner on her own. The twins and I have dinner with her when Dad and you are at work."

Mom hugs me. "You make me proud, Paige. What time are you leaving?"

I look at the clock in the kitchen. "I'm meeting Jody and Nick at nine."

Mom looks outside. "Is she leaving already for Harvard?"

"Yeah, she got a job. She starts right away."

She places her hand on my arm. "I'm sorry you can't go with her."

I hug her. "It's not your fault." I smile. "Staying behind will have its advantages. At least when I start University I'll know what I want to study. I don't want to waste my education and party all the time." Turning to the twins I ask. "What do you want for breakfast?"

"Toast and jelly." Darcy says.

Hayden nods her head.

I make the twin there breakfast. I make Mom a coffee and some scrambled eggs. I finish the twins dinner and I place it at the table. "Food's ready, Darcy and Hayden."

They sit at the table and I go to the fridge and pull out two juice boxes for them. I place it in front of them.

I finish cooking Mom and I's scrambled eggs. I place the food in front of her. I take my plate to the table and sit between the twins.

"Are we going to Clara's today?" Hayden asks.

I nod. "Yeah," I look at Mom. "Do you want to drop them off or do you?"