Proving Him Wrong - 9.

Alex starts cooking the steak for me. He looks up from the grill and says. "Can you help me out here? I need you to place the food on the plate. I've shown you how to organize the food on the plate."

I set up plates on the bench and I put food onto it. I wipe around the edges to get rid of food that was on the corner of the plate.

When I'm finished he looks at the plates. "That's perfect. Maybe, I should ask Donna to move you in here. I need someone that knows what they're doing."

I ring the bell and a waitress enters the room. She takes the food from the counter and takes it out to the customers.

Alex looks at me. "Your steak is done." He places it on a plate with fries and vegetables. He puts the plate on the table. "Enjoy, your dinner."

I pick up a knife and fork and start to cut into the meat. I look over at Alex. "Alex, your favorite customer is coming in tonight. But, he won't be dining alone. His sister and her boyfriend will be with him. I hope you save the best food for them."

He laughs. "I'll always save the best piece for your friends."

"Al," a sultry voice says from behind us. "Can you make me my usual?"

He looks towards her. "Sure, but, you'll have to wait outside like everyone else."

She moves towards him and puts her manicured hand on him. "But, you let her stay in here with you. What's so important about this bitch?"

He shakes her hand off him. "I promised her Mom I would keep an eye on her when she's at work and I intend to keep my promise."

"Her mother wasn't the best worker here. Donna kept her around because no one wanted to do the Graveyard shift, over the weekend. Looks like she's taking after her mother."

I rise. "I'm glad that I take after my mother. She's my hero. She's the one person I look up to and I was lucky to have her in my life."

Donna enters the kitchen and she looks at the girl. "I told you to place you order and then finish up your tables. The other girls have more work to do since you decided to stay in here and flirt with one of my kitchen hands." she turns towards me. "When you're done, Paige. Tables will be waiting for you." Donna and the girl exit the kitchen.

I look at him. "Did Mom actually ask you to look after me?"

He shakes his head. "No, I said that so she would go away. She's been annoying me since she started working here. She keeps asking me out even though she knows I prefer guys. But, it never sinks into her head."

I finish off my dinner and then take the dishes over to the sink. I wash it and place it on the dish rack. "Thanks, Al. I'll see you when my roommate comes by." I exit the kitchen. I walk over to the counter and clock-in. I pick up an apron from under the counter. I put it over my work uniform and walk out onto the floor.

A group of people from my High School enter. Damien walks in holding a girls hand. He looks at me and his eyes widen for a second.

I walk over to them. "Welcome to Donna's bar 'n' grill. I'm Paige. I'll be your waitress this evening. Would you follow me to your table?" I show them to their table.

The group squeeze into the booth. "Can I get you anything to drink?"

Damien looks at me. "Sure, I'll have a glass beer."

I cross my arms. "You're not twenty-one."

He pulls out an ID and places it on the table. "Yes, I am. Now, give me a beer. Or do I have to talk to your boss."