Proving Him Wrong - Prologue

I walk toward the school building on our Graduation Day. My boyfriend Damien is standing around with a group of guys from the football team. I move toward him when I see a blonde hair, blue eyed, girl wrap herself in his arms.

She points to me. "There's the trailer trash Paige McGuire." She turns in Damien's arms. "Please, tell me you broke up with that trash?"

Damien shakes his head. "Nah, I couldn't break up with her on my own. I needed to have an audience when I broke up with her."

Asshole.

He smirks. "Baby, you're not going to amount to anything. You're trailer trash, dirt poor and you have nothing going for you. You didn't even get into University. How can I continue to be with a person too lazy to do a thing? Have fun on welfare.' Oh, and don't come to the party at my place."

I don't want to go to the party anyway.

He walks away, laughing with his friends.

I run straight to the bathroom and look at myself in the mirror. I have tears running down my face. Sighing I say. "Paige McGuire, you're a beautiful woman and you won't let any guy hurt you like that again. You aren't nothing. You will go to University once you decide what you want to major in. Then you will prove to the world you are more than the trailer trash people think you are." I throw water on my face and pull some paper towels from the dispenser. I dry my face. Exiting the bathroom I head towards the hall. I find my seat and I'm surrounded by the jocks and their girlfriends.

Damien looks at me. His eyes narrows and his nose scrunches up when he looks at me.

I don't know why he all of a sudden hates me. Everything was going perfect last night.

*Flashback*

Damien and I were in his bedroom. I looked around his room at all the pictures of us together. We'd been together for a year. Damien took my hand and led me to the bed. "I love you. Paige." He laid me on the bed and crawled on top of me.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him towards my lips.

His lips smashed onto mine and he started to take my clothes off.

*End flashback*

A girl next to me slaps the back of my head. "I'm glad I won't see you ever again. You will be the first person in our year to die."

I clench my hands into fists.

She smirks. "What are you going to do? Punch me? If you touch me the boys will beat you."

Whore!

I shake my head. "It's pathetic you won't finish what you start. I see why the girls were afraid of the football team now. You paid them to do your dirty work. That's pathetic."

Principal Bayne is on the stage and I turn to it, ending the conversation with the annoying girl. "Welcome everyone. We are here for the 2009 graduates from Smithdale High School. I would like to hand the microphone to Jody Smith your valedictorian."

I applaud as she crosses the stage and stands in front of the podium. She looks towards me and smiles. I wave at her.

At least I have one true friend.

Jody lives a couple trailers down from mine. She got a full ride to Harvard. The day we found out about it we went out to celebrate.

I told her about my decision to hold off on University until I knew what I wanted to study and she fully supports me.

She knows that I would have to borrow money to cover my four year education and that I didn't want to throw away four years of my life on an undecided degree.

Jody looks down at the piece of paper. "Welcome class of 2009, today we're here to say 'goodbye' to the school we spent the last four years in. I have plenty of fond memories of this place. I remember freshman year I entered the school gates and I was pushed over by some older guy," she looks at me. "A girl saw me on the ground and she helped me up. That day she became my Best Friend."

I smile.

I remember that day like it was yesterday.

Jody continues with her speech and she thanks certain teachers for helping her out over the years.

"Thank you," Jody leaves the podium.

Principal Bayne moves over to the podium. She starts to call names of the graduating class.

My classmates cross the stage and receive their certificates.

"Paige McGuire." I rise and climb the stairs. I cross the stage and shake Principal Bayne's hand.

She smiles. "Congrats, Paige."

I take the certificate from her. "Thanks. Principal Bayne." I walk across the stage.

As I get closer to the stairs I feel something cold hit me. I look at my harm and I'm red. Someone poured paint all over me.

Why would they do this to me?

The entire class are laughing.

I step off the stage and run from the building.

What a way to end graduation. I'm going to prove to these idiots that no matter what background you come from you can make something of yourself.