Proving myself - 1

Pulling my car in front of the Granny Flat I see my family standing on the stairs waiting for me. I park the car and step out. Before I can get my bags out of the trunk my sister's arms are wrapped around my legs. "Paige," they yell.

I ruffle their hair and say. "Hey, Hayden, Darcy." Leaning down to their height I pull them into my arms. "I missed you." I kiss both of their cheeks before standing up and greeting my parents. "Mom, Dad."

They hug me. "We missed you, Paige." Mom says. She kisses my cheek. "I'm going to show you around tomorrow. This place is so gorgeous. I can't believe we wasted all our time in Los Angeles where we couldn't get the jobs that we deserved."

Looking at her I say. "Don't feel bad for the way I grew up. Dad and you did your best." Turning my attention to the twins and smiling. "They're the ones you need to worry about. I'll be at UCLA soon, following in Dad and your footsteps."

A smile spreads across her face. "I'm so happy for you, but don't follow too much in our footsteps and get pregnant before you graduate."

"I won't, Mom."

Darcy and Hayden walk over to me and grab my hands. They start leading me into the Granny flat. Before we make it into the house Mom says. "Girls, why don't you show Paige your new room."

The twins start babbling with each other until we reach their bedroom door. Hayden opens the door and waits for me to enter first.

The room is painted pink and in the corner, close to the window are two single beds. Barbies are on their quilt cover. Pink fluffy pillows are lying on the floor next to the book shelf. A couple books are scattered on the floor. Hayden and Darcy both have pillow with their names on it.

"Paige," she picks up a book and holds it out to me.

Looking at the book I see it's the one Aunt Denise brought me when I was born. Opening the book I read what she wrote me. "Dearest Paige. I won't be here when you grow up and I wanted you to have something that would last forever. With lots of love Aunt Denise."

"Who's Denise, Paige?"

Looking at the door I see Mom and Dad standing there. "Aunt Denise was Mom's little sister. She passed away when I six. I was very close to her."

Mom looks at the book. "When I was your age Denise and I begged our father to read us that book every night before we went to bed. It was my favourite story and Paige's."

I sit on the floor next to Hayden and open the book. "Why don't you join us, Mom? I'm sure the twin's would love to have you read to them as well or try to memorise the story from your childhood."

Dad looks at us. "I'm going to make lunch while you girls stay here and catch up." He closes the door.

Mom takes the book from me and she opens it. "It's been awhile since I've read to all my girls and I don't want you to take that chance away from me Paige."

"Okay, Mom."

She start reading the book and I lie my head on the pillow and listen to her voice as she reads to us. I feel Hayden's chest on my stomach and I run my hands through her hair.

It's good to be back with my family.