Chapter 27

I drove home. Chase usually drives when we go somewhere but I think it's easier this way. The officers told us to just go home and wait. There was nothing else we do is what they told us.

We got home to the empty house in complete silence. I stood in the doorway trying to think of what to do next. How do you do anything after your child was kidnapped?

I walked upstairs to see where Chase had gone. He was in Connor's rooms sitting on the floor holding Connor's old blanket.

I walked in and sat next to him on the floor.

The room seemed eerie without Connor. Noting felt the same without him. I felt bad for living when I didn't even know if he was.

I shivered at the thought and tears ran down my cheeks.

There was a knock on the door and I looked up and realized the sun was up. We'd been sitting here all night. I got to my feet and went to answer the door.

Of course it was Paige.

"Please don't hit me again" she said as soon as I opened the door.

"What?" I said annoyed.

"I came to help." she said

"What the fuck is she doing here?" Chase came to the door behind me.

"You've helped quite enough now leave before I call the police." I said as I began to close the door but she stopped it with her foot.

"You have to listen. I think I know who took Connor!" she said. "Please listen."

"Who did it?" Chase asked opening the door wider.

"Well I have a list of everyone who was invited to the part and if you help me go through it we can narrow it down to who it might be" she said holding a thick stack of papers

"All of those papers?" Chase looked down at the stack "Hell no. Sounds like you're trying to trick us. Right Sheilah?" Chase looked at me and I looked at Paige.

"We have to at least try" I said which set Chase off. 

"How can you even trust her?" he shouted "For all we know she could be working with the kidnapper."

"I'm not I swear" she pleaded "I just wanna make things right."

"Fine. Fine." Chase got his car keys and headed outside "You do what you want. I'm not working with that scum though" he got into his car

"Chase wait!" I ran outside after him "Where are you going?" I asked as he rolled down the window.

"I love you Sheilah but I can't do this right now." he said rolling up the window

"Wait!" I screamed banging on the window as he pulled off leaving me in the dust.

"Sheilah. Are you ok?" Paige asked.

"Let's go through that list." I said with more determination then ever. I had to save my son or else I wouldn't just lose Connor. I'd lose Chase too.

***

One name was a red flags on the list: Kai.

"Kai" I narrowed my eyes and glared at Paige. "Why would you invite her to your party after what I told you at the babyshower?"

"I didn't I swear-" Paige began to protest.

"Then why the hell is her name on this guest?" I was starting to get agitated. It's like I don't even know my best friend anymore. "Are you working against me?" she shook her head and tears welled in her eyes.