Glasshouse

I watched Connor as he silently slept in his crib. He'd been through so much today.

We all had.

The doctors checked him thoroughly after the ambulance arrived. No signs of abuse, no abnormal behavior, not a scratch on him. I cried as they told me all this. Maybe it was relief. They said he could go home and resume his normal life. But everything had changed now.

I sat there watching him sleep afraid to take my eyes off of him for a second.

I knew it wasn't going to happen again. She was behind bars now. But now I'd never take my eyes off of him again.

I jumped as I heard footsteps heading towards the nursery. And I let out a sigh of relief as I realized it was Chase. I sat back in my chair.

I silently acknowledged him as he sat in the other chair in the room. Chase sat across from me in as the moonlight illuminated the glass room. Even when this house was dark it had a blue hue. 

"Hi" Chase said lowly as he stared.

"Hi" I forced a small weak smile.

"Are you coming to bed?" he asked.

I shook my head as I looked over at the crib.

"I just want to make sure he's sleeping fine." I whispered.

Chase sat in the chair across from me in the room lit by moonlight. He still hadn't slept since Connor's, neither have I. Everything just feels different.

"I feel like we haven't talked since..." He trailed off "Since I went to the police station with Paige"

I nodded my head. This night has been crazy. I haven't talked to Chase about any of it and I really wasn't in the mood now. He abandoned me when I needed him the most. When Connor needed him the most. 

"So. How did you two end up finding Connor?" he asked.

I shrugged. Kai and I had done some less than legal things to find Connor. I used to hate her. Now I don't know what I would've done if she hadn't been there for me.

"I didn't know you guys could accomplish so much." he said

"Obviously" I mumbled under my breath.

We sat there in silence once again. I looked sleepily at Connor. I smiled that he was back and not a hair was out of place on his head.

"Are we ok?" Chase asked breaking the silence.

I looked up at him sitting in the chair. He looked sheepish and embarrassed. I don't know if we're ok.

"Why wouldn't we be?" I asked narrowing my eyes.

"Well ever since you went rogue on the search for Connor I feel like there's tension between us."

"I went rogue?" I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "Kai and I are the only reason we found Connor. I was being proactive."

"Yes but you put his life in danger. You do realize that right?" He asked.

"I brought him home!" I shouted

"Yes after you got him kidnapped" Chase raised his tone to match mine.

"I got him kidnapped? You have a lot of fucking nerve you know that?"

"You left him with Paige. Do you have any idea how unstable she is?" he asked

"She's my best friend I've known her all my life! And you didn't have a problem with her having Connor when we were fucking on the kitchen floor!"

"I wanted to fuck my fiance! Sue me."

"Look" I held up my hand and took a breath. I looked over at Connor who was still sleeping peacefully in the crib. Thankfully he's a heavy sleeper.

"I don't want to talk to you right now. Not like this. Just go to bed and I'll stay in here with Connor." I tried to defuse the situation.

"I'm not leaving you here with Connor. The last time I did he went missing" he sat down angrily in the chair.

"Wow." I sat as a single tear fell from my eye. "Fine. But I think I'll be sleeping in the guest bedroom for a while." I said

"Maybe that's for the best." Chase said shocking me. 

Silence fell in the room again as we stared at each other from across the room until the sun rose ending the worst day of my life.

Connor woke up crying from hunger. I gt up to feed him.

"I got it." Chase said as he stepped in front of me and grabbed Connor. He scoped Connor up and laid him on the changing table.

 I stood behind him with my arms crossed waiting for him to figure it out.

Connor continued to scream as Chase checked his dry diaper.

"He's not wet... Why is he crying?" he mumbled to himself.

"He's hungry." I said "Give him here." Chase reluctantly handed me Connor. His face was red from his crying.

I sat in a chair and looked up at Chase who was still watching me.

"Can I get some privacy?" I asked.

"You have a problem with me seeing your breast?" he asked.

"I have a problem with you right now. Can't I get a moment alone with my son?" I sighed exasperated as I fed Connor under Chase's supervision.

"My lawyer has advised me not t leave you alone with him for the time being." Chase said.

I looked up at him confused.

"What are you talking about?" I asked "What lawyer?" 

Chase sighed.

"After we got into a fight at Kai's I called my lawyer to get some legal advice."

"Why would you need legal advice when our son was missing?" I asked not grasping the situation.

"I thought. I thought we were going to find him first and I wanted to be protected in case there were custody issues.." Chase trailed off.

"Custody issues?" I stared at him not believing what I was hearing. "What were you planning?"

"I don't want to tell you" He looked down ashamed "It's over now so why dwell in the past right?" he tried to laugh it off but stopped when he saw that I wasn't amused.

"Tell me." I demanded

Chase stood there silently avoiding all eye contact.

"I was going to leave you and take Connor with me." He said.

(A/N: Sorry for the delay. I hope you guys are still reading. If you are please vote, comment, and share the story. :D)