You Need a Shower

When all the boxes were moved Paige stood outside.

"Just go" she held up her hand "I suck at goodbyes so please just spare me and go." She looked broken up so I drove away without another word as I watched her in the rear view mirror.

Chapter 21

8 months has never ever been this long before. Maybe it's because I'm huge and I'm moving slowly. I sat in the nursery that Chase and Sean made for me in Chase's house. The crib and they toys being there made it so real.

Soon I wouldn't be pregnant anymore. Soon I'd be a mother. And that's scary. Another little person would depend solely on me and Chase.

Chase came in the room smiling at me.

"What?" I smiled at him and put down my book.

"You're so beautiful" he came towards.

"And huge." I added rolling my eyes.

"That's just the beauty of pregnancy" he beamed way too happily.

"Is it time to go yet?" I asked him an he nodded.

We were going to our weekly Lamaze classes. I struggled to get up with the pain in my lower back. Chase grabbed me before I fell over.

"Your back any better?" he asked concerned and I shook my head. The doctor said that the baby was weighing down on my small frame causing back pains.

Chase looked at me sadly knowing there wasn't really a way for him to help.

"I'm alright." I reassured him by lying.

We made our way to the car and Chase started driving in the wrong direction.

"You know you're heading towards the beach right?" I asked looking at him as if he was crazy. We've been there only a thousand times. How could he forget?

He ignored me and parked by the beach.

"Hello? Chase. Why are we here?" I asked slowly.

He smiled at me and gestured to my window

I jumped when I saw someone standing at the window holding big blue balloons.

"Paige?" I barely recognized her. She was thinner with big dark circles under her hands. She was smiling at me but I could see that she looked exhausted.

"Sheilah! It's your baby shower come on" she dragged me out of the car. I waved goodbye to Chase as I was dragged away.

There was a cute area set up on the sand. It was decorated with blue balloons and banners declaring "It's a boy!" Paige sat me down in the midst of the already ongoing party.

"I missed you do much She-she!" Paige said hugging me. Even her arms felt frail. "Have you been taking care of yourself?" She asked.

"I have. But have you?" I asked "You've lost weight."

"I-I started a diet." She stuttered.

"And you look so tired" I added concerned. "Are you ok?" I could tell something was wrong.

"Congratulations!" Iris said handing me a gift bag. Paige took this as an opportunity to go attend to more guest before I asked her another question.

"Thank you" I smiled "Is Paige ok?" Iris's smile slowly faded away

"I hope so. When I moved out things weren't that great." She looked down.

"Moved out?" I asked "When'd you move out?"

"A while ago. Things weren't working out." She said "But it's ok. We're still friends." She nodded smiling. "You want me to make you a plate?" She asked and I nodded happily and she left.