Part 52

Joey's POV

Hudson said he has some errands to run with Mason.

I've never seen Serenity so happy, but we need to talk about settling here in Texas.

"Your father is going to move in here with Jake today.  Your brother has to go back home in a few weeks, but he will spend summers and school breaks with us."  I said.

"We aren't going back to London are we?" She asked.

"No, your dad and I are talking about getting married very soon.  He transferred to the Dallas office."  I said.

"Really?" She started to cry, but I couldn't tell if she was upset.

"Does this really upset you?" I asked.

"Upset me?  No, Mom. I'm so happy for you, and I've made a lot of friends here, plus we have a family."

"Oh, thank God. I was so scared you'd think I was trying to ruin your life."  I said.

"I don't want to leave Riley, Mom.  He is..amazing."

"I thought you felt that way.  Your Dad is talking to Mason now, and they're bringing Jake home this afternoon."

"I can't wait!  It'll be hard to see the little guy go, but at least he's away from that horrible woman right now."  She said.

"We don't know enough about her to presume she's horrible, and you can't let Jake hear you talk that way.  She is his mother." I said.

"I know, but that doesn't mean I have to like her."

"You're right, but just be careful with Jake."

"I will, Mom."

"I know you will, and right now, I need to go place an ad for a ranch foreman and shop for some cars."

I stood and walked away.  She has a good head on her shoulders. 

Mason has been working on his dad's old car, so I'm sure they stopped for some parts.  Finally, a few hours later they came in, and Hudson raced inside to hug me.

"He's okay with it." He whispered in my ear, but I looked at the little boy standing next to him.

"Welcome home, Jake.  Would you like me to show you your room?"  I asked.

"Sure, angel lady."

"Son, her name is Joey."  Hudson said.

"Yeah, and she's an angel." He says.

"I think my son is trying to move in on my girl." He whispered.

"Well, he is pretty cute," I responded.

I showed him his room, and we talked about some decorating ideas.  I told him we would be shopping this week for some decor.  He says he wants horses and cows, but I'm not sure what we will find for a little boy's room.

Hudson helped Mason with the car, while I spent a little time getting to know Jake.

"What kind of things do you enjoy doing at home?" I asked.

"I like my cars, and Greg takes me to monster truck shows." He says.

I already know Greg moved on from Hannah.

"Mommy teaches at my school."  He said.

I didn't know she was a teacher.

"Really?  What grade does she teach?"

"She teaches the big kids in sixth grade."

"It must be nice having your mom at your school," I said.

"Yep, she's funny.  We like to help the people without houses."

"You volunteer?"  I asked.

"Yes, we find money for blankets and go buy food.  Mommy even lets me play basketball with the kids."

"There are kids without houses too?" I asked.

"Yes, but mommy tries to help them get houses."

Damn, maybe this woman isn't all that bad.

"Do you like basketball?"

"Yes, and football.  Mason needs to learn more, so I help him.  He wants to use his feet because he is so silly.  He talks funny too, but it's okay, I'll teach him." He was helping me make cookies.

"How do you feel about Mason being your brother?"

"He's old, but its pretty cool.  Mommy wanted me to have a little brother, but Dad said no, they fight too much." He said.

"I'm sorry about that, but maybe someday you'll have that chance." I said.

"I like it here, but I miss my mom sometimes." He said.

"I'm sure you do, but we will get you home in a few weeks."

"Then I will miss my dad."

My heart just sank.

"Your dad loves you, and will miss you too, but you'll get to come to visit, and we will come to see you too."

"Okay, you're going to be my mommy too?" He asked.

"No, you already have a mommy, but we can be very special friends," I said.

"What do I call you?"

"You can call me Joey."

"That's a boys name.  I'll call you angel."

"Why do you call me that?" I asked.

"Daddy always said he had a special angel once, and I saw your picture in his wallet." He said.

"Your dad had a picture of me?"

"Yes, one night he fell asleep with it in his hand.  I asked him who it was, and he just said an angel."

Damn...

"Okay, let's put these in the oven" I opened the door and set them inside, just before Hudson walked in and kissed my cheek, then messed up Jake's hair.

"Dad!  Angel said she is going to buy horses!"

"You're sticking with Angel, huh?"  Hudson asked.

"Yep!"

"How's the car coming along?" I asked.

"Good, we need to get him ready for the driver's test, but it's ready to go soon."

"Does he know anything about engines?" I asked.

"Well, the classic cars are easy because they don't have all the computers, and for a kid who hasn't spent much time around one, he's doing great."

"That's good to hear."

"Dad, will you help me teach Mason football?  He has a lot to learn before school."  Jake asked.

Hudson chuckled.  "Of course, go ask Mason, and I'll be right out."

Hudson pulled me into his arms when Jake ran out.  "I can't wait till the kids go to bed." He started kissing my neck.

"Is that right?  Maybe I'm not in the mood." I tried not to giggle.

"Oh, I'll get you in the mood." He said.