Part 8

Hudson

I helped her get dressed, then gave her one more kiss.  "Let's get you home." She hopped off me, and I scooted back behind the wheel.

I started the car and headed back in the same direction we were going, then reached over and held her hand.  "Turn right at the next stop sign."  She said.

I did, and we drove a few more minutes.  "You were going to walk this far out at night?"  I asked, and she shrugged her shoulders.

"My car's in the shop, it's been there forever." She said.

"Want me to take a look?" I don't like the idea of her walking these roads at night.

"Sure, turn left at the fork."

She seems nervous.  "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just scared you'll think differently of me once you see where I live."  She said.

"That's silly, it's not like I live in a mansion." I said.

"Well, that's the problem, my dad isn't well liked in these parts."  She said.

I saw a massive ranch come into view.  Maybe her parents are ranch hands, and she lives in a cottage or shack.

"Turn here." I turned and was met by an iron gate.  "Press that button."

"Vincent, open up, it's me."  She yelled.

"Yes, ma'am."  A voice said back.

What the fuck?

"See, you have that look on your face." She said.

"I'm just confused, does your family work here?" It seems like their driveway goes on forever.

"My dad does sometimes, but no, he owns it."  She said.

"You work in a diner, and you were walking home.  Why?" I'm baffled.

"I pay my own way, Hudson.  The kids at school hated me, until they finally let me in. My father isn't just an oilman and rancher, he's the biggest employer in the area.  He also claims eminent domain over their land for oil, he's not a good man."  She said.

She looked ashamed.

"Can I tell you a secret, and you can't tell anyone?" I put my car in park.

"Yeah"

"My father is a CIA operative, and this is my third high school.  Whenever he closes a big case, he moves us for our safety."  I said.

"Seriously?" She looked like she was going to laugh in disbelief.

"Yeah, and I plan to take his same career path."  I said.

She looked at me, and I could see it finally clicked.  "Your father is never home."

"He comes home about a week out of the month, it's hard on Mom, but he has an important job." I said.

"So, you believe I'm not just a spoiled brat?"  She asked.

"Well, I kind of suspected, but you worked in a diner, you had me fooled." I chuckled.

"He's not a good man. I have my freedom until I graduate, then its over."  She said.

"What do you mean until you graduate?" 

She looked down at her hands, and a tear fell off her cheek.  "Hey, what's going on?"

She looked up at me. "Nothing, I better go inside, I'm sure he's wondering what I'm doing."

"He won't hurt you?" I asked.