Part 43

Hudson's POV

Finally, she is in my arms the way she's meant to be. Her lips are soft, and the rain no longer exists.  How could she ever think I'd leave her for Hannah?

A crash of lightning hit not far off, and she jumped in fear.  "I better get you home," I said before helping her back into my truck.

We ran into the house, and she didn't even stop and went straight upstairs.  I pulled off my wet sweatshirt and dialed my father.

"What happened?"

"He got ahold of my gun, and the son of a bitch blew his own brains out." He said.

"How unexpected.  Anyway, when will you be home?"  I asked.

"I'm on my way now.  I'm officially retired, and I guess your mom and I need to have a talk." He said.

"Have you heard from Rob?" I asked.

"He's got old man Beaumont, now.  Junior didn't give anything up, sad he stayed loyal to his father after what the man did to him."

"You'll tell Mom tonight?" I asked.

"Yeah, how are Joey and the kids?" He asked.

"I'm sure I'll know soon enough.  Keep Mom dialed down a notch, I'm not sure how this will go." I warned him.

"I'll try, but no promises," he said.

"Night Dad."

"Good luck, Son."

I hung up the phone, and went to check on Joey.

"Joey, open up." I knocked on the door.

"Why?" She asked, and I chuckled.  "So we can talk."

"There's nothing to talk about, he's dead and I'm free.  That's what you're going to say, right?"

"You won't know unless you open the  door."

She slowly opened the door, and she's in pajamas with wet hair, but her face is stained with tears.  She walked to her bathroom and starts washing her face.

"How did it happen?" She asked.

"All I know is, he got the gun and did it himself, at least that's the official story." I said.

"What about Rob?" She asked.

"Dad said he has the old man now.  Dad hasn't received word, but he's on his way home to talk to Mom." She dried her face off and walked back into the room.

"What now?"

"You'll probably get a call to make arrangements," I answered.

"I won't have to identify him, will I?"  She asked.

"I don't know, but as far as I care, his mother can do it. I won't let you face that, Joey."

She sat on the bed.  "She can make the arrangements too." She said.

"So, do you want me here when you talk to the kids?  Weren't they due back a while ago?" I asked.

"Yeah, they called and asked for another hour."

It was awkward for a moment.

"About what happened out there, I won't apologize," I said.

"Just don't even talk about it. I don't have the strength to deal with anything now.  I'd like to go to sleep, a lot happened today, and I'm exhausted."

"Do you want me to wait for the kids?" I asked.

"No, maybe go home for your mom.  I'm not sure I have the strength for her to show up tonight. I just need some rest."  She said.

"Okay, I'll go if that's what you want." I stood.

"Thanks, Hudson."

"Don't mention it." I walked out and went back to my parents with a heavy heart.  I wish I knew the right words, but I failed tonight.

The house was quiet and dark, so Dad didn't make it home yet.  I walked upstairs as quiet as possible, and finally got dried off for bed.

Joey was right, the day was exhausting, and I laid in bed worrying about her and our kids.  I wish I was with them, but some things can't be helped.

I didn't realize I had dozed off, until my mother threw my door open.

"What the hell is your father talking about?" She jolted me out of my sleep.

"Damn mom, what time is it?"

"What time is it?  It's seventeen years late, that's what time it is, dammit.  Jason, get up here!"

Well shit, here we go...

"Mom, calm down and just listen to me."

"She was taken from us, Hudson, and you want me to calm down?  I have sixteen-year-old grandchildren, and you want me to calm down?"  She yells.

"Yeah, that's exactly what I want," I said.

"Mom, we didn't know, and now she's free of him.  Yes,  you have more grandchildren, but I'm just getting to know them. I don't want to overwhelm them.  The prick that raised them, just died last night."

"So I'm just supposed to learn that my son got a girl pregnant in high school and just stay calm?  I told you to be more careful!"  She crossed her arms and stared down at me.

"Well, I'm glad it happened.  They're amazing kids, and you'll love them.  They're settling here, so you'll be able to make up for lost time."  I said.

"What about you?  Are you going to make up for lost time and take responsibility?"

"What the hell, Mom?  You act like you don't know me.  Of course, I'm taking responsibility. They're my children as much as Jake.  We are working through things, and you'll get to meet them soon."

"I haven't even got to see Joey yet.  I'm heading over there in the morning, this is crazy, Hudson."

"Our son is doing the best he can in this situation, have some faith in him.  Hudson and Joey will decide when the time is right, and if you don't calm down, it won't be tomorrow." Dad walked into my room.

She turned toward him.  "You have other things to explain!" Dad pulled her out of my room, and I could still hear them arguing.  Now, I just hope I can survive Chloe tomorrow.