Part 19

Hudson

"Holy, fucking shit!" Joel mutters.

"What?"

"Look who Amber is talking to now."  He pointed.

I followed his gaze. 

Oh...my...god...

"Damn, talk about more beautiful with age, damn that woman is hot!"  He said.

"That's her, dimwit.  How many drinks did you have before I got here?" I asked.

"I know who it is, Sherlock. I don't even know how you're still sitting here."  He said.

Maybe the fact that I'm scared shitless right now.

"Go talk to her."  He said.

"Hell no, she left and made her choice, there's nothing left to say."

Except for everything.  Damn her, why now?

She has a concerned or scared face on her now, then she took off for the other side of the lounge, and Amber came back and sat down.

"What?" I asked, as she glared at me.

"You need to go talk to her, she isn't happy."  She said.

"That's the choice she made years ago." I took a drink if my beer.

"She's coming for dinner tomorrow, bring Jake and join us, she's bringing her twins."  She said.

"Twins, huh?" I really didn't know.

"Yeah, they're almost seventeen, suspiciously close to our son's age."  She gave me a strange look.

I already know how those kids came about, but it's not my story to tell.

"So, will you come?  Doug and Julie will come too, I'll just invite the gang.  What do you think, Joel?"  She asked her husband.

"Sure, but don't get this guys hopes up.  She's still married to some European fuck." He said.

"He's not European, he's a Texan like you.  He runs the European division of Lattire and Beaumont."  I said.

"How did you know that?" Joel asked.

"I met her brother the other day, and he mentioned it to my father." I answered.

"Well, there's a strange face." I heard from behind me. 

I turned.  "Doug, good to see you, man." He gave me a side hug.  "Julie, well the two of you have been busy I see."  She's pregnant.

I leaned down and she hugged me.  "Yeah, he just keeps knocking me up,  I told him no more after this one." She said.

Amber and Joel said their greetings.

"Did you see who is here?" Joel asked.

"Who?"  Julie asked.

"Joey Lattire." Joel answered

Julie looked around.  "So?  Her dad died, right?"

"Yeah, but aren't you excited to see her?"  Doug asked.

She shrugged her shoulders.  "Why should I be excited?  She ran away without as much as a word and hurt this guy. I'm still pissed off."  She said.

"Honey, you know her father, and he probably sent her away," Doug said.

"That excuses seventeen years?  That excuses the fact that dumbass over here about killed himself trying to get away from the pain she left him in, I think not."  She said.