Part 33

Hudson

I want to talk to Joey before I say anything to the kids. Dad said he just landed in Atlanta and has Beaumont in custody. We better do our sightseeing tonight, because I need to get to Atlanta first thing in the morning. Rob is flying up tonight to bring them back to Texas in the morning.

"What do you say we go do some sightseeing?" I asked.

"Tonight?" Joey asked.

"Sure, it's still early. We may not get to go inside many places, but you can still see most of it." I said.

They agreed, and I paid for dinner, then escorted them through town. Serenity walked with her mother, who I do need to have a private conversation with, but for now, it's me and my son.

"How old were you when you went into the Marines?" He asked.

"I was 18 at the time." I answered.

"Were you scared?"

"At the time, I thought I was invincible. Your mother had just left, and I was a mess. Then I made the stupidest mistake and married the first girl I thought would help me forget your Mom. Everything I did was to erase what I was feeling at the time. So, I guess my answer is no." I said.

He just looked at his feet as we walked.

"Did you learn much American history growing up?" I asked.

"Yes, I was always interested in it. Both of my parents were American, and I always wanted to come here. I knew about you for a very long time, so it was my dream for so long to come meet you." He said.

Wow, that makes me feel better.

"I wish things would have been different. When your mom and I were together, we would talk about someday getting married. We would finish college first, then I would join the CIA like my dad. When I learned about the arranged marriage, I wanted to get married as soon as we were eighteen, but your mom wanted to have her mom back, then she disappeared." I said.

"You weren't much older than me when you met mom. I can't imagine being that serious about a girl." He said.

"I don't think we were the norm. Before I moved to Texas, I had girlfriends, but I never expected to become completely consumed by a girl. I knew the moment I laid eyes on her the first time, my life would change forever. She was different in those days, she was perky and always had a smile on her face. Your sister looks like her, but they are so different." I said.

"Do you think I'll ever meet your family?" He asked.

"My father is going insane wanting to meet you. My mother doesn't know yet, because my dad is supposed to be retired, and he needs to finish this last case. My mom will probably smother you, and my sister will want to meet you too. Serenity is a lot like my sister Chloe." I said.

"I've never really had grandparents. I met mom's dad a few times when he came to London. He argued with my dad all the time. He wanted my mom back and regretted his decisions. The Beaumonts visited, but they were snobby, and didn't pay much attention to us. They haven't even requested to see us since we arrived in the states." He said.

We stopped in front of the Lincoln Memorial, and Joey gave the history lesson. After that, the kids walked ahead, and I finally got my time with Joey. "Hey, we need to talk."

"Sure, what's up?" She tucked her hair behind her ear, and I had to see that rock of a diamond on her finger. I really want to rip that thing off and throw it in the river.

"He's in custody. Dad and Rob got him in Atlanta. I have to go there first thing in the morning, and Rob is coming to escort you back to Texas. The FBI wants me to keep him alive because they have their own investigation. I'm on leave, but I'm going down there to see what I can do." I said, but she stopped walking.

"Are you coming back to Texas?" She asked.

"Yes, but I'm not sure when I'll get there."

"Promise me you'll be careful." She said.

"To be honest, my career is on the line. They wanted me to step in the way of the CIA because their goal is to eliminate him, I told them I won't betray my father." I said.

Her face is as white as a ghost. "He has been my husband for seventeen years. I hate him, and often think how much better my life would be if he didn't exist, but now, I do realize that I don't want harm to come to him. It's just hard to understand my feelings right now." She said.

"He tortured you." I pointed out.

"He also changed toward me. I just don't know what to think, so I just have to let things play out." She said.

I don't get this woman at all, she must have some kind of Stockholm syndrome.

"Serenity thinks he knows they aren't his kids," I said.

"He didn't for a long time, but never asked for a DNA test because he came to believe they are his children." She said

"Mom, I'm tired of walking. Can we go back now?" Serenity started to complain, so we went home.

We walked in, and I set my keys and phone on the table.

"Finally! Mom, can I stay in your room, Mason smells funny." Serenity said.

"I do not!" Mason snapped at his sister.

"It's weird sharing my room with the little creep." Serenity said.

"Serenity, he can sleep on the air mattress. I won't get a moment to rest sharing a bed with you. The last time I had to sleep with you, I almost fell out of bed. You're a bed hog." Joey complained.

I just can't believe how much this girl complains.

"Fine, but no climbing into my bed in the middle of the night, you freak." She turned and slammed the door shut.

"I think she was switched at birth," Mason said, and I had to laugh.

"Ever since you said she's like Chloe, I can't help but laugh," Joey said, as she took off her heels. Damn, I've missed those legs.

"Imagine them meeting." I shook my head, and chuckled. "That'll be something."

"Mason, we are leaving in the morning, they have him in custody." Joey said, and Mason lost his smile.

"Will he be okay?" He asked.

They both looked at me. "I don't know, because I asked not to be involved, but my dad wants me to fly to Atlanta in the morning. I don't have many details." I said.

Mason sat on the couch, and leaned his elbows against his knees.

"Why don't you want to be  involved? Maybe you can make sure he is given justice instead of death." He said.

I sat down next to him. "The man took everything from me. I won't be objective, and will only make rash decisions. If there's a trial, it'll be considered a conflict of interest. That's if he is turned over to the FBI. The CIA, on the other hand, have orders to neutralize him, and I don't want to be involved in anything that will make you or your sister resent me. Your mom can have her freedom now, and that was the goal, right?" I asked.

"Yeah, and I appreciate your approach in the matter. Why are you going to Atlanta?" He asked

"I requested to have one talk with the man. I want him to look me in the eyes when I tell him everything he took, has been returned." I said.