Part 3

Joey

We sat by the creek and laughed about Hudson.  "Come on Joey, none of us got to see him, what's he look like?"  Julie asked.

"You'll just have to wait until Monday." I took a drink of my beer and smiled ear to ear.  I love keeping them in suspense.

"That's not fair." They all handed me the money from when they bet against me.

Gwen stoked the fire.  "So he asked you to Homecoming?"

I laughed.  "He thinks I'm crazy, so I'll probably get stuck with Joel again."

"You are batshit crazy, Joey," Julie said, and they all laughed. I threw Hudsons underwear at her, and she jumped. 

"That's fucking gross!"

"You won't say that come Monday." I leaned back and drank my beer.

"BOO!" The girls jumped when Joel and his crew jumped out of the bushes.

"What kind of trouble are you conjuring up tonight, Joey?"  He asked.

The girls laughed.  "She climbed into the new guy's window and took his underwear.  He thinks she's crazy, and probably thinks she's a stalker." Julie laughed.

"She is crazy, leave the guy alone," Joel said.

"Hell, imagine moving to a new town, and your very first night a girl that looks like Joey climbs in your window." They guys all laughed.

"He was so freaked out!" I laughed.  "There's no way he doesn't think I'm psycho."

"You are psycho." They said in unison, and we laughed.

"They dared me, and you know I won't pass up a dare, and Joel, no, daring me to suck your dick won't work." They all busted out laughing, and Joel made a sad face.

I stood.  "I'm ready to go home, the old man is probably already freaking out," I said.

"I'll take you!" All four guys volunteered in unison.

"I came with Julie, and she's not drinking, ready babe?" I winked, and she stood.

"Yep, whoever wants a ride better hop in, I'm not waiting." She said.

Julie turned off her headlights when she pulled in my driveway. I gave them all hugs, then walked inside my house.

"Josephine." I heard my fathers voice, and a light flipped on.

"Yes, Daddy?"

"You're home before curfew, is everything alright?"

"Yes, daddy.  I worked till ten, then had a few beers with the girls." I said.

"You were drinking, and you're just going to admit it?"  He asked, with a smirk.

"Well, why lie?  You were young once too.  A really, really long time ago." I teased.

He chuckled.  "As long as you have a designated driver, it's your honesty that gets you out of trouble every time.  Don't forget we have the picnic with the Beaumont's tomorrow after church."

"Yes, Daddy.  I'll find my best dress." I said.

"That's my girl.  You'll make a fine wife for Jackson someday."

"Yes, father."

"Goodnight, angel."

"Goodnight, daddy."

I went to my room and sank into my bed.  Jackson Beaumont is my sworn enemy, and someday, before the wedding, I plan to run so far away, I'll be forgotten long before my father dies.

The next day, I walked into church wearing my Sunday best and on my father's arm.  As usual, people grow quiet, when the great and almighty Robertson Lattire walks in the building.

I smiled gratefully, as I was taught, and stood with the proper posture and grace. 

We sat near the front, and Dad conversed until the priest started mass. 

"We are blessed today with the presence of a new family.  Please welcome the Engle family who has moved here from Louisiana."  He said.

I looked behind me, and saw Hudson sitting there with a girl who looks to be maybe a freshman, and a beautiful woman.  I don't see a father, but that doesn't mean he isn't at home. Hudson looked at me, and I quickly turned my head.

"Do you know that young man?" My father whispered.

"He got takeout from the diner last night, but I don't know him."  I answered.

"Good, keep it that way."

What the hell?

After mass, I slid into my fathers chauffeured car.  It's so embarrassing, who needs a driver in a small town?  Why can't we just be normal?

As usual, I'm stuck sitting next to Jackson Beaumont. He brags to everyone that he's my boyfriend.  I just want to gag so bad.  Thank God he doesn't go to my school, and nobody else knows about the snobby prick I'm forced to deal with constantly.

I don't respond or even smile in his presence.  The more I act bored, the happier he acts, I bet he has a boyfriend up at college. 

A little girl ran past and almost fell in front of us, as her mother chased after her.  Jackson chuckled.  "Someday that'll be you chasing after our own children." He said.

"Only if the sweet kiss of death doesn't take me first, let's just pray that's the case." I said.

"You're so dark, and it's creepy." He said.

You're so gay, it's creepy.

"What did you just say?" He narrowed his eyes at me. 

Damn!

"I didn't say a word, why?"  I asked.

He just shook his head.  "I hope you have an attitude change before your next birthday, or you're going to hate your life."

"That goes both ways." I smiled, and nodded at Mrs. Johnson who walked by.

"No, I'll enjoy seeing you lay under me and begging for mercy."  He said.

"That's what happens when your husband prefers butt sex.  Why don't you just tell your parents you're gay, and get us out of this mess?" I asked.

"Why do you keep calling me gay?  What the fuck is wrong with you?"  He snapped.

"Intuition?" I looked up at him innocently.