Part 21

Hudson's

I heard her voice right away.

"I love being a mother, but I vowed never to give him... I mean, I don't want anymore growing up in Europe, the culture difference." She said.

What culture difference? London isn't that different.

"I can't imagine twins, did you breastfeed?"

Really Amber?

"Yes, I breastfed and I loved it, I miss my babies being so small." She said.

Their babies, the ones forced on her, and she still loves them.

I cleared my throat and Amber looked up at me.

"Hudson, I'm so glad you made it. Where's Jake?"

"Gage already grabbed him up."

"Good, it's so funny how we all have kids the same age. I think my Riley was a little shocked when he saw Serenity, she looks a lot like her mom." Amber said.

"Who's Serenity?" I asked.

"Joey's daughter, both the twins are with Riley, come sit with us." Amber promted, but I was busy watching Joey love on the baby. I bet she was beautiful pregnant.

"Hudson?"

"Oh, right. That's okay, Joel asked for help outside, but I brought some beer. Want it in this fridge?" I asked.

"Yeah, if you can find room. I might have gone overboard with the food." She said.

I can only see the back of Joey's head, but that baby looks at home in her arms.

I got the beer in, and excused myself. As soon as I got outside, I let out a deep breath. That's one step closer to tolerating her presence.

"You'll survive, Hudson," Joel said with a smirk. "Wait until you see her daughter, Riley almost shit his pants.  She looks a lot like Joey at her age."

Damn, that's why those kids looked so familiar at the store.

"Sounds like me the first time I saw her mom. She was working at the diner that night, and I couldn't believe my eyes." I said.

"You and every other guy in Texas. She's even more amazing now, and I can't believe she ever carried twins with that body." He said.

"It's weird, Joel. Like I'm screaming to talk to her on the inside, but I'm scared shitless. Iraq was more relaxing than home is these days." I said.

"Damn, that bad, dude? I could imagine the same if I lost Amber. I'd be so lost, she's my world." He said.

He starts the grill, and I took a seat.

"Maybe you should just bite the bullet and say hello. Just get it over with so you can relax." He said.

I heard the door slide open. "Dad!"

Jake came running up. "What's up?"

"Gage is fun, did you see the angel lady? Why did she look like she wanted to cry? Did you see the baby?"

"Woah, one thing at a time, buddy." I smiled him down.

"Gage is my new friend." He slowed down.

"That's good."

"Did you see the pretty lady holding a baby? She looks like an angel or a princess or something. Like the lady in the picture."

"Yes, I know her." I said.

"I don't think she liked me." He said.

"Why?" I asked.

"She handed the baby to Gage's mommy and left the room. I think I made her cry."

"Maybe she just had something in her eye," I assured him. "She is actually really nice."

"Jake, come on!" They went running toward the treehouse.

"What does that tell you, Hudson?" Joel asked.

"What?"

"Seeing your son was like a kick in her gut. Believe me when I say, this is just as hard for her." He said.

I doubt that's true.

"Dad, can I take the car?" Three teenagers walk up, and right away I know who they are, holy shit the girl looks like her mom, but the boy seems familiar too."

"Guys, this is my old pal Hudson Engle."

The boy just looked at me in shock, that's weird.

"Hudson, this is Riley, my son, and Mason with his sister Serenity."

The boy named Mason walked up to me, and put out his hand, so I stood. "I'm pleased to meet you, sir. I understand you're part of the American law enforcement? FBI, I believe?" He asked.

I shook his hand. "The pleasure is all mine, have we met before?"

"Yes, I do apologize, my sister ran into your buggy at the grocer's." He said.

"Right, but have you ever been to Washington D.C.?" I asked.

He shook his head no. "I would love to visit the Capitol, but this is our first visit to the states."

"Right, well it was good to meet you."

"Riley, go ask your mother about leaving, we haven't even eaten yet." Joel said.

"Fine"

They all left, and seeing those kids was rough. They made me remember what their mother endured. I would love to slit the throat of their father someday.

"How was that?" Joel asked, as he scraped the grill clean.

"Like a kick in the gut. I've never seen a prettier girl since her mother, and the boy seems to know a lot about me." I said.

"The party is here!" Up walks Doug from the side yard with a big ass cooler.

"Where's Julie?" Joel asked.

"Inside with the girls. How's it going so far?"

"Tense," Joel said, and Doug cracked open a beer and sat next to me.

"I talked to her last night. I swear to God, that woman is abused or something. That's not the Joey I've known since we were kids. Her light is burned out boys. I think we should all go to London and kick the shit out of that guy." He said.

Joel laughs. "I'm sure that will fly really good. An FBI agent goes to London with three hillbillies and kicks the shit out of some billionaire, we would make world news."

"