Part 14

Joey's POV

"I don't have a choice, Jackson.  He was still my father, and the kids get out of school in less than a week.  I'll just go to the funeral, get the ranch in order, and sell it all.  It'll be good for the kids to leave the city for a few weeks."  I said.

He looked at me in deep thought.  "Two weeks, no longer?"  He asked.

"That's what I said isn't it?"

He stood up and put his arms around me.  "I know we had a rocky start, and I wasn't around much, but I haven't been away from you that long since we left France." He said.

"I know, but I don't really have a choice," I said.

"Your father had too many enemies to count.  What he did to you was horrible, and I hate that I went along.  I swear Josephine, if I would have known, I wouldn't have been involved.  I'll never forgive myself."  He acts genuine.

"I know, Jackson." I played along.

He gave me a kiss, and I walked away to go make arrangements.  I'm so scared to go back home. I know Hudson moved away and I won't see him, so it's not him that scares me.  It's the haunting memories.

The twins are finishing up their school year here in London, then they'll have the whole summer to spend with me in Texas, if I can squeeze it out of Jackson.  He already knows I'll try to stay longer than I say.  For years now, I've tried to get away.  He was horrible at the beginning, and he tortured me, but somewhere along the way he became attached.  I have tried to live a life with him, and we have built something, but it's not some passionate love story.  It's settling into the life that was designed for me with a man I hate.

I met up with my friends for lunch, then went home to tell the kids about our trip.  They've never been to the states, so they're going to be excited.

I know I'll see the Engle family, but I've been through worse. 

I'm thirty-five years old now, so I have to see this through as maturely as possible.

I spent the next four days trying to mentally prepare myself for this trip. "Mom, you're acting so nervous, what is it about this place that scares you?"  My daughter asked.

"My father wasn't a good man, Serenity.  There's going to be a lot of bad memories."  I said.

"There have to be good ones too." She said.

"Your uncle will be there, so he will make it a little easier."  I said.

"Alright, I'm going to go say goodbye to Dad."

She walked away. and I pulled out my old shoebox I've hidden away for years.  The entire contents are things about Hudson. A dried rose from prom, every letter he ever wrote to me, our photos, movie ticket stubs, and a necklace he gave me.

I placed the lid back on the shoe box, and slipped it into my suitcase.  Hugh, our butler, took my bags downstairs. Mason and Serenity are saying goodbye to their father, then walked outside.

He wrapped his arms around me.  "Be good, and call me every single day.  Don't forget I love you, Josephine." He kissed my cheek and hugged me.

"I know." I've never been able to say the words he wants to hear, but he no longer gets upset when I don't.  He's been good to me, much better than I ever expected, but I cringe when he touches me, which is way too often.  Having sex with a man who raped and beat you, is no joke.

"I'll be home soon, have fun while I'm gone." I pulled away, and he just smiled. 

Maybe he will fall from a cliff or get run over by a car.

"Go on and come back as soon as you can." He said.

"I will." I turned to leave, and he smacked my ass. I yelped, and he just chuckled.

The flight to New York was long, but we stayed overnight, and I took the kids sightseeing the next day before we caught our flight to Texas.

We got off the plane, and I saw Victor right away.

"Victor, it's so good to see you."  I hugged him.

"Likewise, who might these two be?'

"Victor, these are my children, Mason and Serenity.  Kids this is Victor, he helped raise me." I introduced.

They all shook hands, and he walked us out to the waiting car.  "Victor, has Robby made it to town yet?"  I asked.

"Yes, ma'am, he had a meeting with the investors today, but should be back in time to greet you.  never mind, he's here." He said, as soon as we pulled in the driveway.

Thank God!

As soon as we walked into the house, I was pulled into a bear hug.  "Dammit sis, it's been too long."

I started to cry.  "I can't believe this is finally happening, where's Theresa and the kids?"  I asked.

"They'll be here for the funeral." He said.

Rob has two daughters, Anna and Felicity, and they're about a year younger than my kids.

"Kids, follow Victor and he will take you to your rooms."

I looked at Rob.  "Who all knows about Dad?"

"Just us, Theresa, and Victor.  It was definitely a CIA hit, and I suspect it has to do with the information he had on certain government officials." He said in a whispered tone.

"Are you really sure about having a funeral?  I mean, the whole town will know and start asking questions." I asked.

"If we don't, they'll ask even more questions.  It'll be closed casket, and we will say it was his wishes. We can tell people it was a stroke." He said.

"How does the sheriff not know he was shot between the eyes in his own home?  What about the funeral director?"  I asked.

"The Sheriff does know, and he received orders from Washington to shut down any investigation.  I've spoken with him, and the funeral director was paid a fortune and signed a non disclosure from the government, just like the Sheriff.  It's going to be fine, I promise, but there's something else you should know."

"What?"

"Hudson Engle just came to town yesterday.  I saw him when I went to talk to his old man."  He said.

I acted like he didn't just give me that news.

The next day, we laid my father to rest, and almost nobody came to give condolences. There couldn't be a truer testament to the man.