ch. six

no more hiding

a month later...

"bye mom! i'll be back later!" ryan yelled out to his mother before she could stop him, and slammed the front door shut and ran from his house all the way to the park.

shane and ryan had actually started to get closer since the day they spent in the woods. the two boys spent every second they could with one another, both of neither liking to separate themselves. ryan's friends even started to hang out with shane since ryan had him around most of the time. it was almost like they had become inseparable in just a short amount of time.

"shaney!" ryan called out as he ran to shane, as he was sitting at the little park bench waiting for his ryan to arrive.

the little boy threw himself onto the taller, and giggled into his shoulder. shane always hid his smile behind his white mask, never letting ryan actually be able to see ever see it. shane wrapped his arms around ryan and let his head rest on his shoulder, taking in the presence of the little one.

"what do you wanna do, ry?" shane asked softly to ryland, as he slowly took his arms away from ryan's small frame.

"uh, i don't know. wanna play hide and seek?" ryland giggled, as his eyes slightly squinted at shane. 

"well alright, but i'm counting this time! you go hide." shane spoke, as ryan nodded in agreement and turned shane around away from the park.

"close your eyes, and count to ten!" ryan said, before laughing and running off to find somewhere to hide. 

1....2....3....4....5....6....7....8....9....10

"ready or not, here i come!" shane yelled out as he turned around towards the park, not seeing ryan straight away.

shane went around the little areas ryan would usually hide at first, but picked up on it soon to find a new spot to hide. he then went around the slides and big tunnels that he would play around, but not being able to find him. shane searched around the outskirts of the park, sure to find him but of course, the little boy wasn't in sight.

"ry! where are you? i swear if you're anywhere in plain sight-" 

shane then heard a faint giggle as he looked over towards the monkey bars, and there he was. ryan was swinging upside down with his legs hanged over the bar. ryan covered his mouth, as if it was going to help him even though he knew shane still heard it. 

"what are you a monkey?" shane asked in a confused tone, as he started to walk over to ryan but he had jumped off the bars and ran towards the trees. "hey! i already saw you!"

"you've got to catch me before you can win!" ryland yelled out, as he continued to run as shane chased after him.

the two boys ran through the trees as their laughs were mixed into the cold air that was starting to hit in the month of november. shane started to feel his fatigue in his legs and his shortness of breath would push him down, but it was because he probably hadn't been this active in a long time. from his tiredness, shane took a breather and slouched down with his hands on his knees. when he looked up, ryan was out of sight again. 

he regained his breath, and started to walk around to find his little one again. shane searched through the trees and started to walk back into the park, but soon met the ground instead. ryan had jumped onto shane's back, causing shane to fall but his mask had come undone on one ear due to the way ryan had jumped him.

shane groaned as he then looked up at ryan, who in which was gigging not noticing anything until he completely took a look. the little boy's eyes went wide as he saw shane's face and shane was confused at the expression his face. soon, a gust of cold wind blew towards the boys and shane felt the cold air against his soft skin. 

shane then regained attention to the boy on top of him, as he saw the boy going out to try and touch his face. the taller pushed the little one off of him and sat up from the ground. shane was about to stand up, but ryan reached to the mask and completely took it off of shane. 

"what the hell do you think you're doing!" shane yelled in anger and frustration, trying to grab his mask back from ryan but of course, the little one wouldn't let him have it.

ryan looked at shane clearly, as he had tears bursting out of his eyes and streaming down his face. ryan went out to touch shane's face as he finally came in contact with the skin of shane. he felt shane flinch under his touch, as he started to cry himself. shane felt warmth with the touch unlike with his mother, it was always so cold.

"who did this to you, shaney?" ryan asked in a soft voice, as his fingers swiftly ran across the dark purple bruises on his face. "was it a bully from school?"

"not from school, ry. the bully is at home." shane answered, as he sat down on the ground which let ryan get closer to him.

"it's okay, shaney. i'm here now, i'll be here to protect you always." the little boy proclaimed as he kissed one of the bruises on shane's face. 

"thank you, ry. i'm really happy you care about me." shane smiled at ryan as ryan smiled back at him always immediately.

"you have a beautiful smile, shane. it's okay if you still wear the mask in public, but for me...."

please, uncover that face for me to see.

________

shit.