M a d i s o n

Tom's POV

We get to the Starbucks and I order us coffees. I usually get black coffee with a few sugars, and Alex is a straight up black coffee drinker.

He sits at a booth near a window.

His mind is racing. He looks at the table and I see his eyes racing in lines across it, like when you read.

I get the coffees and pay as I head to Alex.

I slide him the coffee, "What're you thinking about?"

"Nothing." He stammers, sipping his coffee.

"Alex, I know you were thinking. What was it about?" I urge.

"Nothing, Tom."

I take this as a cue to end the conversation. "Okay, anyway, how's everything?" I grab my phone and see that it's nearing 1 PM. "A-Alex... shit."

He raises an eyebrow.

"We completely skipped class." How the hell did this happen?

"Shit..." He mutters, thinking the same.

Of course we missed calculus.

"I missed accounting too..." He mutters.

Damn.

"I can get your work for you, no big deal. Just say you were sick. I can convince them to give us each a separate lesson, or at least email us the notes." I think out loud.

His face flickers with an appreciative smile, "Thanks, Thomas."

"Of course. Might was well miss the rest of our classes." I say, half joking.

"Fair enough." He takes a sip of his coffee. "I only have political science anyways."

I nod, "I had psychology and English shit. Morning classes. How the hell did we- oh yeah... I kind of punched John kind of pretty hard..." I quiet down at the end.

"Yeah, that scared the shit out of me. Halfway through ordering I remembered that the guy who liked me was alone with my ex, who also liked me... I knew something was going to happen, honestly." He chuckles a bit and sets his coffee down.

"I'm sorry." I mutter.

"It's good. I don't think John will ever fully forgive you, frankly. He trusts very little people, and you are definitely at the bottom of that list."

I contemplate all of my intentions, actions, and my entire existence.

"He's cute. You guys were a great couple." I manage to say.

"Thomas, I know. He's hella cute. But you're also super cute." He gives me a subtle smirk, but also kind of a genuine smile.

Flustered, I look down at the table, "Y'know, Alex, you're cuter, I think."

"I'm flattered. Don't lie though." He gives a soft giggle, "You're hot, and John is adorable. I'm just me."

He gives me a small, sad, smile.

"We should go back to mine." I say quickly. I stand up and wait for him to follow, which he eventually does. We get to the doors and I intertwine my fingers with his.

I see his blush out of the corner of my eye as we walk down the street and back to my house.

We enter and none other than Madison sits on the couch.

With a gun.

"James? What the hell are you doing?" I muster out through my utterly terrified self.

Alex's hand clenches mine hard, before quickly letting it fall to his side.

He's smart.

"Here to get rid of our problem." He shrugs, aiming the pistol at Alex.

"James, I swear to God, if you shoot Alexander, I will get my dad involved. He hates you so damn much already, we would never have a chance anyway!" I yell, thinking of everything I could say.

He looks at me, rolls his eyes, and focuses on Alex.

I grab my phone.

"I'm starting a livestream on Instagram." I say, opening the app.

"You wouldn't." James mutters.

He's right.

I exit out of the app and, trembling, click the phone icon.

"James, I will call the police." I say quickly.

"Thomas, all you have to do is drop him. We both know you don't like him and only use him-"

I cut him off, "James. Shut the fuck up. I used to like you, but not anymore."

"So you did like me?" James mutters, his arm falling off of Alex.

"Yeah, I did." I yell, "But not anymore. You killed my best friend!"

Alex is watching with wide eyes.

"Did not!"