Surprise

The three of you stood a few meters away from Mary Kelly's flat, patiently waiting for Jack the Ripper to come. It was raining that night, which was perfect. Rain masks scents.

"He'll show up if we stake out this place, right?" Ciel questioned, leaning to look around the corner.

"Yes," Sebastian replied.

"It's true that the murdered prostitutes had other things in common besides having their organs removed." Ciel crossed his arms.

"Beautiful, glossy black hair."
You raised a brow at the tall butler, only to see he was looking at a cat.

'Oh.'

"But why should he have to kill them?" Ciel was talking to himself.

"Sinfully lovable."
It was like you were listening to two different conversations. Well, you were.

"And I--"

"So soft... yes, so soft..." Sebastian had crouched down to hold the cat to his chest.

"Listen when I'm talking to you!" Ciel exclaimed an irk mark on his head.

"I apologize. She's a rare beauty. So soft," Sebastian replied.

'He's sparkling.' You thought, letting out a sigh. Suddenly, a high-pitched scream came from the flat. The three of you were on alert immediately. The cat ran out of his arms.

"No one could have gotten past us..." Ciel said.

"Let's go," Sebastian said. The three of you ran over to the flat, Ciel ahead of you. He pushed open the door but froze. Sebastian came up behind him and shielded his eyes.

"Don't look!" He jumped him away from the inside. You could clearly see what became of Mary Kelly. Eviscerated, disemboweled. You heard a footstep into the puddle of blood from the inside.

"That's quite a mess you made, Jack the Ripper..." Sebastian called out. "... or should I say, Grell Sutcliff?" The bloodied butler walked out into the moonlight.

"Y-you have it all wrong!" He cried out. "I heard the scream and ran over here, but she was already..."

"Please feel free to drop the innocent act, Sutcliff," you spoke up. "I watched you, you know." You smirked at him, and you could see his eyes widen.

"This is the first time I've met someone like you in the human world," Sebastian spoke after you. "You performed the role of the 'harmless, incompetent butler' quite adeptly."

"Adeptly?" Grell repeated quietly. He suddenly smiled widely, showing off his shark-like teeth. "Do you think so?" He removed the ribbon holding his hair back.

"That's right," he went on, removing the glasses. "I'm an actress, honey. And I'm absolutely first-rate." He brought out a comb and slid in through his hair. The brown locks turned red from the root.

"But you're not 'Sebastian' either, are you?" He put on fake eyelashes and tightened his gloves.

"That's the name I received from my young master, so yes, I am... at the moment," Sebastian replied.

"My, so you're a 'faithful dog' character. Though for a fine-looking man like you, that's fabulous, too." Grell replaced the old, circular glasses with red narrow ones. Ones that Shinigami wear. "Well then, Sebastian... no, Sebas-chan... let me reintroduce myself." He moved a piece of his hair behind his shoulder.

"I am Grell Sutcliff, butler to the Burnetts. I'm sure we two butlers can get along marvelously." They blew a kiss to him. Your eyebrow popped up when Sebastian shivered in disgust.

'Ohh.' You thought.

"Ah, I finally get to meet you in my true form!" Grell positioned their body in exaggerated poses.

"I'd never seen a demon playing a butler before, so I was so surprised when I first saw you!" His eyes then turned to you. You stared back at him. E/c eyes clashed with neon green. "That goes for you, too, Demoness Y/n L/n." Your mouth twitched.

"Piss off. Not like you're someone expected to play a butler either," you said.

"Someone who stands neutral between man and God... a Shinigami. Why would a divine being such as yourself bother to play a butler?" Sebastian asked once you made that revelation.

"Good question. Perhaps I should say I fell in love with a certain woman," Grell replied. You could feel Ciel's sentiment change.

"And that woman would be?" Sebastian inquired.

"You don't need to ask, do you?" A voice spoke out. Your eyes turned to the doorway where a familiar shoe appeared through the darkness. She stepped fully outside, closing the door behind her.

"Madam," you heard Ciel say. Red smiled; arms crossed above her midsection.

"I didn't calculate on anyone being able to see Grell for what he is," she said.

"Naturally, you were on the initial suspect list. But your alibi was perfect," Ciel finally spoke. Sebastian had moved away from him.

"You suspected even your own aunt?"

"If you had the potential to be Jack, any blood relation was irrelevant. None of the humans on the suspect list could have committed all the murders. But if one had an inhuman accomplice, that would change everything," Ciel explained. "If he could enter the room in an instant without our noticing, he could also instantaneously get from the Viscount's to the East End. You two are the only ones who could be Jack the Ripper... Madam Red and Grell Sutcliff.

"Jack the Ripper's victims had other things in common. They all underwent a certain surgery at London Central Hospital where you work." He dug his hand into his shirt and pulled out a folded piece of paper. "The only patient on the list you hadn't yet been killed was Mary Kelly who lived in that flat." He unfolded it and showed it to them. Her name was not sketched out.

"I thought you'd show up here if I kept an eye on the place. I couldn't save her, though..."

"This is unfortunate, my beloved nephew Ciel. If you hadn't figured it out, we could have played chess together again." Red's voice was soft, but the fist clenching at her side was not. "But... I won't give anything up this time!" The sound of a revving chainsaw followed right after. Sebastian was fast, but you were faster. You caught the blade in one hand, avoiding its serrations, even though it was rotating. You squeezed it tighter before pushing it away and jumping back. Grell did a flip in the air before also jumping back.

"Wh-what is that thing?" You heard Ciel gasp out.

"Shinigami possess tools for harvesting souls. That's a reaper's sickle," you replied.

"'Sickle' is such a dull name. Don't call it that! Not after I've customized it to my personal specifications!" Grell whined, an irk mark on their head. "This is a 'death scythe' only I can wield, and it can hack any being to pieces!" Their persona changed again.

"I've behaved myself so well lately, I'm out of shape now! I want to get some real exercise for a change. With you." They directed the end to Sebastian.

"Could I ask you not to say such repugnant things? I am on duty."
You let a snicker slip past your lips when you felt his annoyance.

"How stoic you are! Yet another thing that makes you irresistible!" They kept swinging their arm around without a care in the world. They soon stopped and pressed the tip of the scythe on the ground. "You see, I love the color red. Red is my favorite color for hair, clothes, and lipstick. So I paint those ugly women with pretty, pretty red blood." They lifted up to scythe and pointed it at both of you.

"Sebas-chan, I'll make even finer-looking than you already are."

Ja ne!

{Ruby Red}