Basketball

The beating heart of a soul,

Silently thumping to the rhythm of his breathing.

For the boy did not know what to do.

All he could do was be next to her,

Care for her,

And love her.

But he knew this wasn't enough to make her happy.....

_______________

[Kim Jinsoo]

The last bell rang after the class was wrapped up, halls flowing with students rushing to their busses. Buses in Seoul are pretty common but people usually walk, with houses being only four blocks away. My house was one of these perimeters.

Shutting my locker I headed towards the front of the school to meet Jae-hwa. We usually meet there to say our goodbyes considering she has to take the bus. I saw her leaning on the door frame looking down at her cellphone.

I quickly rushed up to her and tapped her shoulder. "The game is tomorrow right?"

She looked up and nodded, "yes, I don't expect Joon or Min to be there but you for sure. Don't miss this." She warned. I nodded reluctantly, knowing the bad side of Jae. She breathes in and lets it out as a big sigh, "I have to go now, I'll see ya tomorrow, kay?"

She walks away and gets in the bus. I waved through the window and made my way to my route. Before leaving I noticed a tall figure at the cross light about to pass. I rushed up to him and began walking with him.

It didn't take me long to realize who it was.

"Oh, hey Jin. What are you doing here?" Sangwoo asked as we walked. I glanced at his face and backed down immediately. "O-oh I'm walking home..."

"Really? I am too," He said with a smile. I smile, knowing his smile could melt hearts.

"Where are you heading? I'm going to the convenience store to pick up some candy. Wanna come?"

I look down the path that I usually go and back at him. "M-my mom would be would be worried if I stay late out of the house again....sorry." I explained.

He just smiles and scratches his neck, "that's okay. Anyway, do you like basketball?"

"B-basketball? Well I-I don't play it but it's a good sport I-I guess," I responded, not knowing weather I'd offend him or not.

Instead of an expected reaction, he laughs it off and continues what he was saying. "My first game is tomorrow. You should definitely come." His offer made me blush as I was already planning to go. "Y-yea sure, if I'm not busy."

"Great," he breathed out.

He walked the other way towards the store as I look at him from a distance. He waves at me while walking into the store.

I let out a heavy sigh, the build up of stress filling my mind. To be completely honest I really didn't want to go. But Jae would be very disappointed if I didn't go. But, considering the sudden offer, my head stared to spin.

I slowly made my way back to my house, making sure to take my time with each step. Once I made it to the front door, I opened it and saw my mom in the kitchen washing the dishes.

"You're home early, " I said taking off my shoes. My mom kept washing the dishes, unfazed by my presence. I walk up behind her and tapped her, "mom?"

She swished around and gasped, "Jin! You're home already?"

I nodded, "yea, I just got here," I looked over to what she was washing.