Chapter 22 | Before I Want Him To Stay

C H A P T E R  22

C H A P T E R  22

I was in much less pain today which is surprising because Monday's are the worst. Peter was MIA and probably at one of the local bars where he'd been spending most of his time. I was working on my school work when someone knocked on the door.

I pull my glasses up the bridge of my nose and walk over where I put my eye through the peephole. I couldn't see much because their torso was blocking my sight. They knock again but I step back knowing this could be a murderer. I was not about to open the door for some stranger.

"Who the hell are you?" A voice curses from the other side and I distinctly recognize it as Peters.

"Sorry I'm Zach is Alex home?"

My eyes widen as I stare at my current appearance I had braids in my hair but they were very disheveled and I was wearing a large t shirt that had a huge stain of ketchup on it. I didn't want him to see me like this and before I can make my escape Peter opens the door and their eyes look at me.

"Zach what are you doing here?" I said glaring at Peter who was still standing on the porch beside him.

"I just wanted to check up on you, you haven't been answering my texts." He says rubbing the back of his neck. I know he thinks I've been avoiding him which isn't far from it and now I feel bad because he's come all this way to see if I was okay.

"My mother actually took my phone away." I said trying my best to think of and excuse.

"Stop lying Alex." Peter shouts from the kitchen. I don't even turn to look at Peter because I know he just wants to make me miserable.

"Is that your dad?" Zach asks me looking over my head.

"No he's not." I strictly say. "I'm sorry this just isn't a great time."

Zach gives me a sympathetic smile. "It's okay I'm just glad I got to see you."

"Really?" I sound like I'm desperate.

He nods. "Yeah every time I want be alone with you, you always seem to disappear with Gavin."

"Gavin is a very long story he's my neighbor so he's usually my ride home-" I stop my rambling and mentally slap myself in the face before Peter can.

"Be careful with him, okay? Girls get hurt by guys like him and I don't want that happening to you." His message is sincere and I know it's true. I put it in the back of my mind when suddenly Zach leans down a puts a kiss to my cheek.

It doesn't feel like it does when Gavin does it and I hate myself for comparing the two. Gavin only kisses me for his own enjoyment and Zach kisses me for mine. I never wanted this to happen especially now when I'm at the peak of my leukemia and I could lose everything I have ever cared about, that included them.