Chapter 13 | Before I Go On A Date

C H A P T E R  13

C H A P T E R  13

"I'm gonna screw this whole thing up." I said to Peyton but mostly to myself. I stare back at myself in the mirror. I wore a simple dress with some floral printing on it and wedged heels that weren't actually breaking my ankles. I even straightened my hair for once.

As I scan myself again I feel a little out of place just like I had the first time I wore that red dress. I'd rather wear black jeans and a sweatshirt but I am trying my best to actually seem appealing to Zach.

Not that I should care, I just do.

"What's wrong?" Peyton says. "I know that face."

I turn to look at her laying across my bed. "Nothing." I smile forgetting everything that just occurred in my brain. My phone vibrates in my hands and it reads under Zach's name "omw".

I grab my jacket and my bag and hoist it over my shoulder. "Alex!" My mother shouts from downstairs. "Someone's waiting here for you."

"That must be Zach." I said to Peyton.

"Go have fun and don't worry Ash and I will be on speed dial if you need anything." She smiles pulling me into a gentle hug.

We both walk downstairs and I stop in my place looking toward the entrance of my house. I furrow my eyebrows surprised to see Gavin standing in the doorway. My mother is sitting on the couch with a glass of wine in hand waving at me.

"What are you doing here?" I say grabbing his arm and pulling him toward the porch. "This isn't the time."

"I'm not here to ruin your first date loser." He rolls his eyes at me like he's annoyed.

"I've been on plenty of dates." I point my finger up at him. "And I am not a loser."

"Whatever you say."

I shake my head looking down at my phone again to see if I've gotten anymore texts. Nope.

"What do you want?" I exasperate.

Gavin stuffs his hands into his pockets staring down at me like he's ready to destroy me. I had a feeling he wasn't gonna actually let me enjoy this date tonight. But I patiently wait for him to speak and he just never does.

"You look- decent." He finally says changing his direction toward the road where a truck pulls up. Finally.

"Thanks I guess." I said. "I really have to go." As I walk past him I could have sworn he said something under his breath but it was unrecognizable.