Chapter 05 | Before I Go To A Football Game

C H A P T E R  05

C H A P T E R 05

"Medication."

I grab the bottle from my desk and twist the cap open. My mother avoiding any eye contact with me but for what? A party I had no part in? Well sorta. "You can't stay mad at me forever." I say twirling in my chair.

"I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed Alex." She sighs shaking her head. "It could have ended in a completely different way."

I groaned out loud. "We can't act like death is literally at my doorstep right now mom."

She quickly shoots me one of those warning glares.

"I'm just saying, it was fun." I admit smiling a little at the thought. "I felt alive for a change not just some walking disease."

"Your more than a walking disease sweetheart." She gives me a warm smile. "Your my daughter and I love you no matter what."

I smile at her in return. "So does this mean you won't let Gavin over anymore?" I say waiting anxiously for her answer because although I had fun last night, the guy was a jerk.

"I decided to give him another try actually."

My mouth opens wide. "You're kidding? I almost died mom!"

She laughs. "Sarah and I both agree that it's a lot more safer for the both of you to stay here instead and become friends, just no parties this time."

"Tell me you and Sarah aren't trying to set us up or something?" I laugh nervously.

"No we just want what's best for both of are children. I need to know you're safe when I'm gone."

"More late nights at the office again?" I said. "Mom I told you I could go and get a job to help pay for the bills."

"I appreciate the thought to honey but you know that's not possible. You don't leave this house unless I know about it."

I nodded.

"Get ready."

First doctors appointment of the week, it was located at the nearest cancer center. As much as I hated any appointments this place topped the list. I sat in one of their chairs as my mom walked to the receptionist. I tapped my foot nervously as I looked around.

A girl sat a few rows away coughing every few seconds as she rests her head onto her mothers shoulder. She wore a blue beanie that covered most of her hairless head, from chemotherapy I'm guessing.

Another girl to my right was clutching her stomach crying and moaning. Then there was me only four years into my treatment and I'm somehow alright. At least that's what I hope to know, I know my mother likes to keep things from me, things she thinks she will help protect me from.

My doctor says the longer you have cancer the more it likes to spread. So you see my dilemma? So far it hasn't spread anywhere.

"Alex." My mother says. "Are you okay?" I look up at her and nod my head standing up from my chair the girl with the blue beanie glancing at me, her eyes were pink and her face looked almost like a skeleton.