Chapter 08 | Before I Make A Deal

C H A P T E R  08

C H A P T E R  08

My doctors say it's normal to feel and overwhelming sense of gloominess. They also say I should wear my prescribed glasses more often but that's not happening. I was paying another visit to the cancer center of Westland. I was ready to hear more terrifying news.

"You'd think they'd have a better selection with the vending machines in this place." I sigh, unsatisfied I look over to Clarity who's nodding her head in agreement.

"I'm pretty sure Doritos and fruit snacks include cancerous things inside them." Clarity says. "What I wanna know is will it give you cancer if you already have it?"

I look at her forming slits through my eyes lids.

Clarity practically lives here. I met her while I was in my first few stages of cancer; she was going through her second stage and now she's entered the chemo phase. Clarity tells me it gets very overwhelming, that the only upside is her choice in her wigs hair color.

"Alex Eastwood."

Both are heads turn to look at the woman wearing pink scrubs. I wave goodbye to Clarity before I follow behind my mother into a large hallway. I'm put into a small confined room before I'm greeted by my doctor who brings out the blood test results from last week.

"Seems we still have some abnormal levels of white blood cells and abnormally low red blood cells, which is expected."

I can hear the sound of my own heartbeat. I can feel myself fidgeting with the tips of my fingers that feel cold, sweaty even.

"Alex."

I snap out of my daze and meet my mothers eyes staring back at me. "Are you okay?"

I nod. "I'm fine."

They lay me in and MRI machine and I stay looking up at the white ceiling before a coil is rested over my face and I'm pulled in. I close my eyes and breath in and out waiting for this to end. Eventually it does and we leave.

The sun batters against my skin that isn't too familiar with warmth. So once we enter the car and drive away do I feel safe again.

Later that day I had just finished eating dinner when the buzzing sound coming from my phone interrupts me. I make my way up into the comfort of my bedroom and take a seat at my desk.